Clean Diesel National Grants
On this page:
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
EPA anticipates awarding approximately $44 million in competitive grant funding under the Diesel Emissions Reductions Act (DERA) National Grants Program. The program is soliciting applications nationwide for projects that achieve significant reductions in diesel emissions and exposure, particularly from fleets operating in areas designated by the Administrator as poor air quality areas.
Application packages must be submitted electronically to EPA through Grants.gov (www.grants.gov) no later than Wednesday, February 26, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. (ET) to be considered for funding.
|Request for Applications (RFA) OPEN||Monday, December 9, 2019|
Link to Presentation (PDF) (36 pp, 257 K, December 11, 2019)
Wednesday, December 11, 2019; 1:00 p.m. (ET)
Wednesday, December 18, 2019; 3:00 p.m. (ET)
Tuesday, January 14, 2020; 3:00 p.m. (ET)
1+ (202) 991-0477, 4149804# (audio dial-in number)
Questions and Answers (PDF)(13 pp, 270 K, December 9, 2019)
Deadline for Submittal of Questions
|February 14, 2020 at 4 p.m. ET|
|Deadline for Applications||Wednesday, February 26, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. (ET)|
|Notification of Selected Applicants||May 2020|
|Funding of Awards||June-October, 2020|
Supporting Information for RFA
- 2020 Sample Project Narrative (WORD)(16 pp, 700 K, December 2019)
- 2020 Sample Application Fleet Description (EXCEL)(713 K, December 2019)
- 2020 Sample Scrappage Statement (WORD)(1 pg, 15 K, December 2019)
- 2020 Sample Eligibility Statement (WORD)(1 pg, 26 K, December 2019)
- 2020 Sample Drayage Operating Guidelines (WORD)(2 pp, 47 K, December 2019)
- 2020 DERA National RFA Webinar (PDF) (13 pp, 257 K, December 11, 2019)
- 2020 Priority Area List (PDF)(13 pp, 684KB, December 2019)
- 2020 DERA Transport Refrigeration Unit (TRU) Factsheet (PDF) (4 pp, 90 K, December 2019, EPA-420-F-19-074, About PDF)
Questions and Answers
All applicants are encouraged to review the Questions and Answers (PDF)(13 pp, 270 K, December 9, 2019) for further clarification of this Request for Applications. The deadline for submitting questions is February 14, 2020 at 4 p.m. ET. The final Questions and Answers document will be posted on February 19, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. All questions and answers, including those from all webinar information sessions, will be added to this document.
The following U.S. entities are eligible to apply for DERA National Grants:
- Regional, state, local or tribal agencies/consortia or port authorities with jurisdiction over transportation or air quality
- Nonprofit organizations or institutions that represent or provide pollution reduction or educational services to persons or organizations that own or operate diesel fleets or have the promotion of transportation or air quality as their principal purpose.
School districts, municipalities, metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs), cities and counties are all eligible entities to the extent that they fall within the definition above.
Eligible Uses of Funding
Eligible diesel vehicles, engines and equipment include:
- School buses
- Class 5 – Class 8 heavy-duty highway vehicles
- Locomotive engines
- Marine engines
- Nonroad engines, equipment or vehicles used in construction, handling of cargo (including at ports or airports), agriculture, mining or energy production (including stationary generators and pumps).
Grant funds may be used for diesel emission reduction projects including:
- EPA verified technologies or certified engine configurations
- California Air Resources Board (CARB) Exit verified technologies or certified engines
- Idle-reduction technologies that are EPA verified
- Aerodynamic technologies and low rolling resistance tires that are EPA verified
- Early engine, vehicle, or equipment replacements with certified engine configurations
Funds awarded under this program cannot be used to fund emission reductions mandated by federal law. Equipment for testing emissions or fueling infrastructure is not eligible for funding.
Please refer to the full RFA for specific information about this competition.
The RFA includes information on how to prepare and submit a proposal package. The proposal package must be received by the deadline and include the following documents:
- Project Narrative (no more than 11 pages)
- Standard Form SF 424 – Application for Federal Assistance
- Standard Form SF 424A – Budget Information
- Standard Form 424B - Non-Construction Programs
- EPA Form 4700-4 - Pre-Award Compliance Review
- EPA Key Contacts Form - Key Contacts Form
- Applicant Fleet Description information (not included in the page limit)
- Emissions Reduction Calculations (not included in the page limit)
- Cost-Share Commitment Letters, if applicable (not included in the page limit)
- Partnership Letters, if applicable (not included in the page limit)
- Mandated Measures Justification Supporting Information, if applicable (not included in the page limit)
Tools and Resources for Applicants
- Tips for a Successful Diesel Retrofit Project (PDF) (7 pp, 500 K, April 2013, EPA-420-B-13-025) provides tips to help you get started and avoid common mistakes.
- Technology Tips: Diesel Emissions Reduction Program (DERA): Technologies, Fleets and Projects Information (PDF) (36 pp, 1.3MB, October 2011, EPA-420-P-11-001) provides information about retrofit technologies and what to look for.
- Clean Diesel Clearinghouse (CDCH) Exit is a web-based tool that helps users determine the best available emission reduction technology for retrofitting diesel-powered vehicles and equipment.
- Shore Power Technology Assessment at U.S. Ports
Reporting Templates for Grantees
- Quarterly Reporting Template (Excel)(6 pp, 206 K, March 2014)
- Final Reporting Template, Part 1 (Word)(7 pp, 113 K, March 2014)
- Final Reporting Template, Part 2 (Excel)(6 pp, 192 K, March 2014)