State Grants: Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA)
On this page:
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
EPA allocates DERA funds to eligible U.S. states and territories for the establishment of diesel emissions reduction programs.
Using the formula outlined in the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (PDF)(551 pp, 3.16 MB, August 2005), the State Grants are allocated 30 percent of the annual DERA appropriation.
Of the state portion of the funding, two-thirds is provided to participating states and territories as base funding. The remaining third is allocated as an incentive to those states and territories that voluntarily provide a match equal to the base funding. 2021 DERA State Grants will be new awards, rather than funds added to prior year State Grants.
Note: States intending to use Volkswagen mitigation funds for the DERA Option in the VW partial settlement should review the DERA Option Factsheet (PDF)(8 pp, 311 K, April 2019, EPA-420-F-19-042).
|Release of Notice of Intent to Participate (NOIP) form||Wednesday, March 3, 2021|
Webinar for states and territories
Held Monday, March 8, 2021
View presentation material (PDF)(40 pp, 385 K, March 8, 2021)
|Deadline for states and territories to submit Notice of Intent to Participate form to DERA@epa.gov||Thursday, March 18, 2021|
|States and territories will be notified of final allocation amounts via email by||Wednesday, March 24, 2021|
|Deadline for states and territories to submit Work Plan and Budget Narrative, and Fleet Description to their EPA Region for review||Monday, April 26, 2021|
|Deadline for states and territories to submit application on Grants.gov||Wednesday, May 26, 2021|
|Project period for FY 2021 awards begins. Regional offices will finalize the FY 2021 Program awards by October 1, 2021||Friday, October 1, 2021|
The Word and Excel files below can be viewed withFree Viewers.
- 2021 DERA State Grants Program Guide (PDF)(45 pp, 684 K, May 2021, EPA-420-B-21-027)
- 2021 DERA State Grants Notice of Intent to Participate (NOIP) (Word)(4 pp, 445 K, March 2021)
- 2021 DERA State Grants Work Plan and Budget Narrative Template (Word)(8 pp, 441 K, March 2021)
- 2021 DERA State Grants - Fleet Description (Excel)(1 MB, March 2021)
- 2021 DERA State Grants - Sample Eligibility Statement (Word)(1 pg, 643 K, March 2021)
- 2021 DERA State Grants - Sample Scrappage Statement (Word)(1 pg, 643 K, March 2021)
- 2021 Priority County List (PDF)(8 pp, 858 K March 2021)
- How to Identify Low NOx Certified Engines Fact Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 635 K, January 2021, EPA-420-F-21-002)
- 2021 DERA Transport Refrigeration Unit (TRU) Factsheet (PDF)(4 pp, 116 K, January 2021, EPA-420-F-21-003)
- EPA General Grant Terms and Conditions
Participating states and territories must submit a complete application package electronically to EPA through www.grants.gov after they have received their final allocation amount and have had their work plan approved by their EPA Region Project Officer. See Section VII of the 2021 DERA State Grants Program Guide for full application content and submission instructions.
States and territories may use their grants to fund diesel emissions reduction projects that use:
- EPA verified retrofit technologies or certified engine configurations
- California Air Resources Board (CARB) Exit verified retrofit technologies or certified engine configurations
- Idle-reduction technologies that are EPA verified
- Aerodynamic technologies and low rolling resistance tires that are EPA verified
- Early engine, vehicle, or equipment replacements with certified engine configurations
- State Grants Quarterly Reporting Template FY17-FY18 (Excel)(1 MB, May 2018)
- State Grants Final Reporting Template FY17-FY18 (Excel)(1 MB, April 2019)
- State Grants Quarterly Reporting Template FY19-FY20 (Excel)(729 K, November 2020)
- State Grants Final Reporting Template FY19-FY20 (Excel)(730 K, November 2020)