State Grants: Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA)
On this page:
EPA allocates DERA funds to eligible U.S. states and territories for the establishment of diesel emissions reduction programs.
Using the formula outlined in the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (PDF)(551 pp, 3.16 MB, August 2005), the State Grants are allocated 30 percent of the annual DERA appropriation. Of the state portion of the funding, two-thirds is provided to participating states and territories as base funding. The remaining third is allocated as an incentive to those states and territories that voluntarily provide a match equal to the base funding.
DERA State Grants funding for 2022 will be distributed as a supplemental amendment to 2021 DERA State Grants. States and territories that did not participate in the 2021 DERA State Grants that choose to participate in the 2022 DERA State Grants will receive funding as a new grant award.
Note: States intending to use Volkswagen mitigation funds for the DERA Option in the VW partial settlement should review the DERA Option Factsheet (PDF) (8 pp, 311 K, April 2019, EPA-420-F-19-042).
|EPA sends all eligible states the 2022 program materials||Monday, April 25, 2022|
|Webinar for states and territories||Held Monday, May 02, 2022
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EST
|Deadline for states and territories to submit Notice of Intent to Participate (NOIP) to EPA via email (DERA@epa.gov)||Monday, May 09, 2022|
|EPA will inform the states of their final allocation via email||Thursday, May 12, 2022|
|Deadline for states to submit Workplan and Budget Narrative and Fleet Description to their EPA Regional Office for review||Thursday, June 02, 2022|
|Deadline for states and territories to submit application on Grants.gov||Friday, June 17, 2022|
|Project period for FY 2022 awards begins. Regional offices anticipate finalizing the 2022 Program awards by October 1, 2022.||Saturday, October 1, 2022|
|Deadline for 2022 projects to be completed||Saturday, September 30, 2023|
The Word and Excel files below can be viewed with Free Viewers.
- 2022 DERA State Grant Overview (PDF) (pdf)
- 2022 State Grant Sample Applicant Fleet Description (xlsx)
- 2022 State Grant Sample Scrappage Statement (docx)
- 2022 State Grant Sample Eligibility Statement (docx)
- 2022 DERA State Grants Program Guide (pdf) (April 2022, EPA-420-B-22-023)
- 2022 DERA State Grants Notice of Intent to Participate (NOIP) (docx) (April 2022)
- 2022 DERA State Grants Work Plan and Budget Narrative Template (docx) (April 2022)
- 2021 Priority County List (PDF) (8 pp, 858 K March 2021)
- How to Identify Low NOx Certified Engines Fact Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 635 K, January 2021, EPA-420-F-21-002)
- 2021 DERA Transport Refrigeration Unit (TRU) Factsheet (PDF)(4 pp, 116 K, January 2021, EPA-420-F-21-003)
- EPA General Grant Terms and Conditions
Participating states and territories must submit a complete application package electronically to EPA through www.grants.gov after they have received their final allocation amount and have had their work plan approved by their EPA Region Project Officer. See Section VII of the 2022 DERA State Grants Program Guide for full application content and submission instructions.
States and territories may use their grants to fund diesel emissions reduction projects that use:
- EPA verified retrofit technologies or certified engine configurations
- California Air Resources Board (CARB) verified retrofit technologies or certified engine configurations
- Idle-reduction technologies that are EPA verified
- Aerodynamic technologies and low rolling resistance tires that are EPA verified
- Early engine, vehicle, or equipment replacements with certified engine configurations
- State Grants Quarterly Reporting Template FY17-FY18 (xlsx)
- State Grants Final Reporting Template FY17-FY18 (Excel) (xlsx)