Cutting-Edge Contracting Innovation Lab (CECIL)
On This Page:
- About CECIL
- Program Objectives
- Lab Framework
- CECIL Innovation Coaches
- CECIL Ideas
- Meet the Team
- Contact the Team
EPA's Cutting-Edge Contracting Innovation Lab (CECIL) offers Agency contracting professionals the opportunity to explore and introduce meaningful change to the EPA acquisition environment by using smart innovation.
CECIL is grounded in the principle that any member of the acquisition community can voluntarily explore innovative acquisition concepts, techniques, and strategies with support from the lab. These bold individuals at EPA are known as Idea Leaders. They are supported by Innovation Coaches and Subject Matter Experts who help move an idea through the CECIL experience of becoming an implemented solution or technique.
With the rapid change in technology and innovation with acquisitions, and the need to modernize acquisitions in a progressive federal environment, CECIL provides a structured and safe environment to test new ideas, share lessons learned, and promote best practices to foster cultural changes that promote innovation and managed risk-taking in the EPA Acquisition environment.
CECIL aims to improve acquisition by:
- Lowering entry barriers for innovative, non-traditional contractors to compete for EPA business opportunities
- Cultivating a more agile acquisition workforce, capable of implementing solutions that meet the evolving program needs
- Increasing the likelihood of developing acquisition solutions that offer the market best from the most qualified sources
- Shortening time-to-award to deliver solutions to the programs and end users faster
- Encouraging competition by providing interested vendors with a greater understanding of the goals and objectives for each acquisition
- Increasing procurement equity and the diversity of industry players to offer more options for acquisition solutions and outcomes
EPA's Age of Acquisition Innovation
The CECIL Experience
Like a lab, CECIL provides a unique, safe test environment for exploring and refining innovations in acquisition through the Identify, Develop, Test, and Refine process.
Through this framework, the lab identifies and shares innovative best practices and solutions to adopt and integrate throughout the EPA enterprise as common acquisition practices.
CECIL Innovation Coaches
An Innovation Coach is assigned to each CECIL Idea project at EPA. The coach fills two main roles for the project:
1) Cheerleader/Mentor: Change in the government can be challenging. The innovation coach is there to cheer on the Idea Leader to work through the project and encourage their creativity to deliver an innovative solution.
2) Acquisition Knowledge Support: Innovation Coaches must have a certain number of years of experience in government contracting in order to guide the Idea Leader through complex acquisition processes that might stall the project.
EPA refers to each of the projects under the CECIL program as "Ideas".
|Anonymous Technical Evaluation Panel (TEP) – An innovative evaluation strategy designed to foster procurement equity. Offerors remain anonymous to the TEP during evaluation of Technical Proposals to ensure the technical evaluation is conducted on the merits of the approach, rather than on the merits of the offerors’ identity or brand.
Work & Initial Testing Underway
Other Innovation Labs
EPA is not alone in this effort, other innovation labs at other agencies, here are some of the ones EPA communicates with
INNOVATION ACROSS THE GOVERNMENT
Periodic Table of Acquisition Innovations (PTAI)
Periodic Table of Acquisition Innovations (PTAI) PDF Playbook
DHS Procurement Innovation Lab (PIL)
Lab at OPM
DOD Acquisition Innovation Research Center (AIRC)
Meet The Team
Contact The Team
If you're not already connected to the above contacts, complete this form to send us a message, we'll make sure it gets forwarded or addressed.