An official website of the United States government.

Section 404 of the Clean Water Act

What Kind of Water Features are Regulated by the Clean Water Act (also known as Waters of the U.S.)

Section 404 permits are required when waters regulated under the Clean Water Act, also called "Waters of the U.S.," will be dredged or filled. The "Waters of the United States" (WOTUS) Rulemaking site describes what kinds of water features are regulated and are therefore jurisdictional.