Public Notification Rule Compliance Help for Water System Owners and Operators
This page provides resources for drinking water system owners and operators. The following documents will assist you in complying with the requirements of the Public Notification (PN) rule.
PNiWriter Website is no longer available
The PNiWriter website was taken offline on December 15, 2014. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. For PNiWriter questions or concerns, email email@example.com.
For help completing a public notice:
- Access the Public Notification Handbook and Public Notice templates (available in Microsoft Word) below; or
- Contact your state for guidance and templates.
Public Notification Rule Handbooks
EPA has developed two public notification handbooks to help with implementation of the PN Rule. The Revised Public Notification Handbook is for community water systems & non-transient non-community water systems. The Public Notification Handbook for Transient Non-community Water Systems if for transient systems. These documents are for Public Water Systems.
- Revised Public Notification Handbook (PDF)(182 pp, 420 K, About PDF) EPA 816-R-09-013, March 2010
- Public Notification Handbook for Transient Non-community Water Systems (PDF)(112 pp, 1 MB, About PDF) EPA 816-R-09-009, March 2010
Public Notification Instructions and Templates for the Revised Total Coliform Rule (RTCR)(38 pp, 837 K, About PDF) EPA 816-F-16-003
Microsoft Word files of Public Notice Templates
These templates can be used and customized by drinking water systems to ensure they meet PN content requirements.
- Public Notification Instructions and Templates for the Revised Total Coliform Rule (RTCR) (WORD)(38 pp, 122 K, March 2016)
- PN templates in Microsoft Word format
This fact sheet will discuss the importance of communicating with the public about chronic contaminants – both regulated and unregulated. It includes some questions to think about, ideas on how to reach out to customers and best practices for effective communication.
- Talking to your Customers about Chronic Contaminants in Drinking Water (PDF)(2 pp, 381 K, About PDF) EPA 816-F-07-022, October 2007
For more information, please see the Public Notification Rule page.