TECHNICAL PRODUCT BULLETIN #M-29
USEPA, OEM REGULATIONS IMPLEMENTATION DIVISION
LISTING DATE: AUGUST 17, 2010
|I. NAME, BRAND, OR TRADEMARK|
Type of Product: Miscellaneous Oil Spill Control Agent - Solidifier
|II. NAME, ADDRESS, AND TELEPHONE NUMBER OF MANUFACTURER/CONTACT|
Drayton Valley, AB, Canada
Phone: (780) 621-6870
(Mr. Hugh Morrison)
|III. NAME, ADDRESS, AND TELEPHONE NUMBER OF PRIMARY DISTRIBUTORS|
Drayton Valley, AB, Canada
Phone: (780) 621-6870
(Mr. Hugh Morrison)
*Currently only one distributor, which serves as a point of contact.
|IV. SPECIAL HANDLING AND WORKER PRECAUTIONS FOR STORAGE AND FIELD APPLICATION|
|1. Flammability: >150°F
2. Ventilation: Store in well-ventilated location. Where local exhaust ventilation is not practical and odors are detected, use a negative pressure half face respirator with a cartridge designed to protect against organic vapors and dust if also present, a particulate pre-filter should be used. For high airborne dust concentrations, use a cartridge to be used against nuisance dust.
3. Skin and eye contact; protective covering; treatment in case of contact: Use cloth gloves if desired. Dust-tight mono-glasses and standard issue work-wear. In case of contact with eyes or skin, flush with water. .
4.a. Maximum storage temperature: 200°F
4.b. Minimum storage temperature: None
4.c. Optimum storage temperature range: 40-90°F
4.d. Temperatures of phase separations and chemical changes: Begins to oxidize exothermically at high temperatures (230°F).
4.e. Store in a cool, dry location. Away from direct sunlight or sources of intense heat.
4.f. Maintain fire watch if material temperature reaches 536°F (280°C).
4.g. Product may accumulate static charge during processing, handling, and transport. Earth/ground all equipment used in handling and applying this product.
4.h. Avoid contact with strong oxidizing agents.
4.i Do not stack Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers or palletized bags.
|V. SHELF LIFE|
|>10 years when stored in dry, cool area out of sunlight.|
|VI. RECOMMENDED APPLICATION PROCEDURE|
|1. Application Method: For small scale spills on water (fresh or salt), GELCO 200 can be broadcast directly onto the spill by hand or small hand held spreader from the outer edge back into the middle of the spill. Agitation is not necessary for GELCO 200 to be effective. The product can also be used and is available in booms, socks, and pillows.
For large spills on water (fresh or salt), GELCO 200 may be deployed with an air or water stream directed at the leading edge of the spill. Dispensing equipment should be properly grounded to prevent static electricity build-up if pumping GELCO 200 in dry form at high rates of delivery. If used with a water carrying media, product will require agitation to keep product suspended if there is a delay or travel time associated between batching and delivering product upon spill.
GELCO 200 will remove oils and other hazardous hydrocarbon based materials from both salt and fresh water. GELCO 200 encapsulates and solidifies the oil, and remains buoyant even after total saturation. The solidified products can be removed from the water with hand vacs, vacuum barges, commercial fishing nets, and conveyors. Solidified materials should be placed into appropriate containers and disposed of in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
For spills on land, the product would be applied in the same manner. The product can also be applied by sand-blasting equipment/hopper or pneumatic air seeders. Agitation is not necessary in most scenarios. Some fine agitation may be necessary to remove contaminated materials from native grasses and marsh areas.
Many factors are taken into consideration before determining the best method(s) of application. They include weather, geography, access, land use, and habitat of affected spill area.
When removing contaminants from land, it should be a priority to minimize the volume of land taken to preserve the integrity of the land and to minimize the volume of waste requiring disposal.
To recover solidified oil or hazardous materials from spills on land, the solidified product can be collected and removed efficiently and effectively using a variety of manual and mechanical means.
Manual methods include picking up by hand, using brooms, rakes, shovels, and squeegees to remove and pick up solidified petroleum waste product.
Mechanical means include using hand held vacuums, portable vac units, vac-trucks, or commercial shop vacs. Once the spilled product is solidified by GELCO 200, it will not leach. GELCO 200 is extremely hydrophobic and will not take on water, which may help to keep the volume of waste produced down, depending on the characterization of any non-solidified oil and water remaining in the area treated. Pressure flushing the solidified product or raw into a containment area where it can be solidified – a boomed area, containment dike, bell hole, etc. for removal by vacuum – is also a very practical method for removal.
Land spill cleanup of solidified oil/product
Collection and disposal of materials generated from application to oil spilled on land involve greater variation in waste composition, and appropriate disposal techniques have to be selected for the particular circumstances. Proper precautions, including testing as necessary to identify the characteristics of wastes generated from the application of GELCO 200, should be taken to determine the safe and legally required means of recovering, handling, storing, transporting, treating, recycling, or disposing of materials produced from the application of GELCO 200 to oil spilled on land.
All materials should be placed into appropriate containers, characterized by knowledge or testing as to waste type, and handled, stored, transported, treated, or disposed of in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations. Professional advice should be obtained where needed.
2. Concentration/Application Rate: GELCO 200 is usually applied at a ratio of 5-20% of GELCO 200 to waste by weight to solidify light, medium, and heavy hydrocarbons. Solidification typically occurs 1-3 minutes for most oils. GELCO 200 has been used effectively on heavier crudes including Bunker C within the application rates noted above.
3. Conditions for Use: GECLO 200 is effective in all environments and under a broad range of weather conditions. The product is most effective on water temperatures between 32°F and 120°F. Depending upon the age and/or viscosity of the material, varying amounts of GELCO 200 may be required to obtain complete solidification. The recovered solidified product can be disposed of in landfills, incinerated, or disposed of in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations. Some products can be recovered from the solidified mass through a heat process that would allow the solidified product to release itself from the GELCO 200.
UESS, Ltd. has had TCLP tests completed on several occasions and have not had any field instances of product being released in our methods of recovery and disposal to date due to pressure related issues.
|VII. TOXICITY AND EFFECTIVENESS|
|VIII. MICROBIOLOGICAL ANALYSIS|
|IX. PHYSICAL PROPERTIES|
|1. Flash Point: >150ºF
2. Pour Point: NA, solid product
3. Viscosity: NA, solid product
4. Specific Gravity: 0.25 g/cm3 at 4ºC
5. pH: 4.75
6. Surface Active Agents: NA
7. Solvents: NA
8. Additives: CONFIDENTIAL
9. Solubility in Water: Insoluble
|X. ANALYSIS FOR HEAVY METALS, CYANIDE, AND CHLORINATED HYDROCARBONS|