National Online FOIA Library
The information you seek may already be available. Please review the information below before submitting a FOIA request to see if the information in which you are interested is immediately available at no cost.On this page:
- EPA’s response to Society of Environmental Journalists letter on updated FOIA regulations
- OIG report on former Administrator Pruitt's travel audit
- Final opinions
- Administrative staff manuals and instructions
- Frequently requested records
- Major information systems
- Statements of policy and interpretation
- Superfund-related information
EPA’s Response to Society of Environmental Journalists Letter on Updated FOIA Regulations
- View a PDF version of the letter
- Read the text of the response in EPA's press release
- Read the June 26, 2019 final rule in the Federal Register (PDF)
- The rule revises the Agency’s regulations to include:
- changes required by amendments to the Act in 2007, 2009, and 2016,
- updates to correct obsolete information, and
- changes to reflect internal EPA realignment.
- The rule revises the Agency’s regulations to include:
OIG Report on Former Administrator Pruitt's Travel Audit
Final opinions, including concurring and dissenting opinions, as well as orders, made in the adjudication of cases.
Freedom of Information Act: 5 USC 552 (a) (2)(A)
Administrative Staff Manuals and Instructions
- Class Determination 1-95 (PDF) Confidentiality of Business Information Submitted by Contractors (9 pp, 97 K)
- Continuous Emissions Monitoring Systems: Field Audit Manual
- Field Branches Quality System and Technical Procedures
- EPA Acquisition Regulation (EPAAR)
- Hazardous Waste Combustion Unit Permitting Manual
- Information Management (IM) and Information Technology (IT) Policies
- Manual for the Certification of Laboratories Analyzing Drinking Water
- Multimedia Investigation Manual (Revised 03/92) (EPA-330/9-89-003-R)
- Office of Pesticide Programs' Label Review Manual Table of Contents
- Privacy Act Resources
- RCRA Orientation Manual
- RCRA Public Participation Manual
- Records Management Manual
- State Authorization Manual EPA delegates the primary responsibility of implementing the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) to states
- Superfund Implementation Manuals
- Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) Program Guidance
- Water Quality Standards Guidance Documents
Frequently Requested Records
This is an index of frequently requested materials currently available through EPA's web site.
- 2007 Draft Proposed Endangerment Finding
- Acquisition Training and Purchase Card Service Center (AT & PCSC)
- Administrator Pruitt’s Gift List
- Administrator’s Security Detail Quarterly Payroll Costs
- Administrator’s Security Detail Quarterly Travel Costs
- American Power Act (Discussion Draft)
- Status of CROMERR Applications from States
- Comments on Draft Technical Support Document for Endangerment Analysis for Greenhouse Gas Emissions under the Clean Air Act (PDF)
- Enforcement and Compliance Docket and Information Center
- Enforcement and Compliance History Online
- Engine Certification Data
- EPA Response to Government Accountability Office Inquiry re use of Social Media and the Clean Water Rule
- EPA's Transportation and Air Quality Document Index System (DIS)
- FOIA Logs - Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 to 2017
- Hurricane Response 2005
- Regulations.gov: Portal on Federal Rulemaking
- Freedom of lnformation Act Request HQ-FOI-01268-12, Competitive Enterprise Institute v. EPA, C.A. No. 1:12-cv-01617
- First Release (01-14-13)
- Second Release (02-15-13)
- Second Release Cover Letter
- Second Release Part 2 Cover Letter
- Part A | Part B | Part C | Part D | Part E | Part F | Part G | Part H | Part I | Part J | Part K | Part L | Part M Part N | Part O | Part P | Part Q | Part R | Part S | Part T | Part U
- Portfolio HQ-FOI-01268-12 (2nd Prod) Release Attachments: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16
- Third Release (03-15-13)
- Third Release Cover Letter
- Third Release Part 2 Cover Letter
- Part AA | Part BB.1 | Part BB.2 | Part CC | Part DD | Part EE | Part FF | Part GG.1 | Part GG.2 | Part HH | Part II | Part JJ | Part KK | Part LL | Part MM
- Portfolio HQ-FOI-01268-12 (3rd Prod) Release Attachments: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4
- Fourth Release (04-15-13)
- Fourth Release Cover Letter | Part A | Part B | Part C | Part D | Part E | Part F | Part G | Part H | Part I | Part J | Part K | Part L | Part M | Part N | Part O | Part P | Part Q | Part R | Part S | Part T | Part U | Part V | Part W | Part X | Part Y | Part Z-1 | Part Z-2 | Part Z-3
- Portfolio HQ-FOI-01268-12 (3rd Prod) Release Attachments: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20 | Part 21 | Part 22 | Part 23 | Part 24 | Part 25 | Part 26 | Part 27 | Part 28 | Part 29 | Part 30 | Part 31 | Part 32
- Freedom of Information Act Request, Sierra Club v. EPA : (3:18-cv-3472), EPA-HQ-2017-009842; EPA-HQ-2017-009684; EPA-HQ-2017-009615; EPA-HQ-2018-007559, Selected EPA Officials – External Communications
- First Production (12-21-2018)
- Second Production (01-31-2019)
- Third Production (02-04-2019)
- Fourth Production (02-11-2019)
- Fifth Production (02-20-2019)
- Sixth Production (03-13-2019)
- Seventh Production (05-08-2019)
- Eighth Production (05-22-2019)
- Ninth Production (05-31-2019)
- Tenth Production (06-10-2019)
- 11th Production (07-14-2019)
- 12th Production (08-08-2019)
Major Information Systems
AirData provides information on air pollution data for the entire United States. Aerometric Information Retrieval System (AIRS) – Compliance Data & Air Facility Information
Databases and Software - Online and downloadable tools to access environmental data.
Enforcement and Compliance History Online (ECHO) lets you search for facilities in your community to determine if EPA or State/local governments have conducted compliance inspections, whether violations were detected or enforcement actions taken and penalties assessed in response to environmental laws violations.
Envirofacts, created by the EPA, provides access to environmental information contained in its databases. Information on Air, Chemicals, Facility Information, Grants/Funding, Hazardous Waste, Spatial Data, Superfund, Toxic Releases, Water Permits and Drinking Water can be accessed. You can search Envirofacts by entering a facility name or by entering the Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Code. Both will generate reports and will allow you to request a map.
EPA's Enviromapper consolidates data from seven EPA databases allowing you to retrieve information regarding toxic chemical releases, chemical permit compliance, hazardous waste handling processes, Superfund status, and air emission estimates for pollutants regulated under the Clean Air Act. You can ask Enviromapper to generate a report which will list all EPA regulated facilities located within the ZIP code you specify. Selecting a listed facility will bring up the environmental profile of the facility. You can also ask Enviromapper to generate a map which will locate EPA regulated facilities located within the ZIP code you specify.
Government Information Locator Service (GILS) - GILS identifies public information resources within the Federal Government. GILS is a decentralized collection of agency-based information locators which directs users to relevant Federal Government information resources.
Hotlines and Clearinghouses - Request technical information, reports, and documents or get assistance with your questions about environmental issues.
Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) - Provides a database of human health effects that may result from exposure to a variety of substances found in the environment.
Libraries and Information Centers - EPA libraries and contacts for environmental information.
List of other online EPA Databases - Access databases that provide information about Air, Pollution Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances, Solid Wastes and Emergency Response, and Water.
The National Technical Information Service is the federal government's central source for the sale of scientific, technical, engineering, and related business information produced by or for the U.S. government and complementary material from international sources. It also includes Records of Decision and Superfund publications.
The Registry of EPA Applications and Databases (READ) - (EPA system inventory) READ is an authoritative inventory that uniquely identifies the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) diverse information resources including application and systems, data sets, and models. For each information resource, READ provides comprehensive information, including a description, the responsible organization, a contact, and a url link to the information resource if available.
Surf Your Watershed - Find information about land areas that catch rain and snow and drain to specific marshes, streams, lakes, rivers or ground water.
Toxic Release Inventory Data and Tools - Access to and analysis of different TRI resources
Statements of Policy and Interpretation
- OAR Policy and Guidance
- Tier 2 Vehicle & Gasoline Sulfur Program – Compliance Help
- National Low Emission Vehicle Program and Ozone Transport Commission (OTC) LEV
- Federal and California Exhaust and Evaporative Emission Standards for Light-Duty Vehicles and Light-Duty Trucks
- Light-Duty Vehicle and Engine Emission Certification
- Radiation – Federal Guidance
Compliance and Enforcement
- Compliance and Enforcement - Superfund Cleanup - Policies & Guidance
- Office of Administrative Law Judges - Rules of Practice and Procedure
- Civil Rights - Policies and Guidance
Grants and Finances
- EPA: Pesticides - Electronic Submission and Review - Guidance Documents
- Pesticide Registration (PR) Notices
- Antimicrobial Policy & Guidance Documents
- Exposure Assessors Toolbox
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) > Interpretive Guidance
- Toxic Release Inventory - Guidance Documents
- EPA's Action Development Process: Final Guidance for EPA Rulewriters: Regulatory Flexibility Act as amended by the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act (November 2006)
State and Local Guidance
- EPA's Information Quality Guidelines (IQG)
- Under the authority of §24(c) Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) states may register an additional use of a federally registered pesticide product, or a new end use product to meet special local needs.
- OCIR – Performance Partnerships – Policies and Guidance
- Superfund Policies and Guidance
- Supplemental Guidance to Risk Assessment Guidance for Superfund (RAGS)
- Policy Database for Waste Management and Emergency Response Programs
- Search RCRA Online
- Search the Online Publications catalog
- Laws, Regulations, Policy, Guidance and Legislation
- Method Guidance and Recommendations for Whole Effluent Toxicity
The Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Information System (CERCLIS) is the official repository for site-and non-site-specific Superfund data in support of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA). It contains information on hazardous waste site assessment and remediation from 1983 to the present.
The Superfund Query Form and the Envirofacts Query Form provide access to Superfund National Priorities List (NPL) Factsheets, Record of Decision (ROD) documents, and CERCLIS Site Reports. These documents are maintained by the Superfund Office.