We consider this document to be an instructional aid that does not establish new guidance, but instead compiles existing interpretations of statutory and regulatory provisions and reiterates existing Agency policies.
We are interested in optimizing the usefulness of the Label Review Manual (LRM) as a tool for understanding the pesticide labeling process. The LRM is also useful in understanding approaches for how labels should generally be drafted. As always, we will consider each label on its own merits and will consider deviations from our policy in labeling under the appropriate provisions of FIFRA and its implementing regulations.
Label Review Manual Table of ContentsYou may need Adobe Reader to view files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Label Review Manual - Complete Manual (PDF)(272 pp, 11 MB, August 2017)
- Chapter 1: Purpose of the Manual (PDF)(5 pp, 475 K, December 2016)
- Chapter 2: What is a Pesticide? (PDF)(11 pp, 753 K, April 2014)
- Chapter 7: Precautionary Statements (PDF)(16 pp, 691 K, July 2014)
- Chapter 8: Environmental Hazards (PDF)(15 pp, 865 K, September 2012)
- Chapter 9: Physical or Chemical Hazards (PDF)(7 pp, 774 K, September 2012)
- Chapter 10: Worker Protection Labeling (PDF)(28 pp, 922 K, February 2016)
- Chapter 14: Identification Numbers (PDF)(6 pp, 720 K, November 2012)
- Chapter 15: Company Name and Address (PDF)(5 pp, 1 MB, August 2017)
- Chapter 16: Graphics and Symbols (PDF)(7 pp, 1 MB, August 2017)
- Chapter 17: Net Contents/Net Weight Statement (PDF)(4 pp, 444 K, August 2015)