Rochester Embayment AOC
Mary Beth Giancarlo
Sources of Pollution
Historic manufacturing facilities caused contamination of an unnamed tributary of Brockport Creek. PCBs, cyanide, dioxins, furans and silver have been found at the AOC.
The Rochester Embayment is formed by the indentation of the Monroe County, NY, shoreline between Bogus Point in the town of Parma and Nine Mile Point in the town of Webster. The northern boundary of the embayment is delineated by the straight line between these two points. The southern boundary includes approximately 6 miles of the Genesee River that is influenced by lake levels, from the river's mouth to the Lower Falls. The drainage area of the embayment totals more than 3,000 square miles. This area consists of the entire Genesee River Basin and parts of two other drainage basins, the easternmost area of the Lake Ontario West Basin and the westernmost part of the Lake Ontario Central Basin.
Beneficial Use Impairments
- General information about BUIs: Beneficial Use Impairments for the Great Lakes AOCs
- Tainting of fish and wildlife flavor – REMOVED 2018
- Fish tumors or other deformities – REMOVED 2015
- Restrictions on drinking water consumption, or taste/odor problems – REMOVED 2011
- Beach Closings –REMOVED 2019
- Added costs to agriculture or industry – REMOVED 2011
- Degradation of benthos – REMOVED 2017
- Degradation of phytoplankton and zooplankton populations – REMOVED 2016
- Restriction on dredging activities – REMOVED 2019
EPA has continually worked with federal, state and local partners to execute remediation and restoration work in the area with the ultimate goal of removing the AOC designation and revitalizing the surrounding communities.
The following links exit the site Exit