Identifying Greener Paper
Environmental Attributes to Consider
- Postconsumer recycled content (EPA requires purchase of 100% post-consumer recycled copy paper for its offices)
- Consider alternatives to printed material
- Processed without added chlorine for brightener
- Look for paper with a brightness at 85 (anything higher could have been made with processes that are not needed)
- Soy-based inks
How to Buy
- See paper standards and ecolabels recommended by EPA.
- Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines (CPG) provides recycled content recommendations for paper and paper products.
- Green Procurement Compilation (GPC) is a comprehensive green purchasing resource designed for federal contracting personnel and program managers. It helps you identify applicable green purchasing requirements.
The federal government's premier online shopping superstore giving you access to millions of commercial products and services available from GSA-negotiated contracts. Anyone may browse the site to view and compare the variety of products and services offered. Visit the Environmental Program Aisle search by environmental icons and limit your results to sustainable products.