Why Buy Greener Products?
Products can have a wide variety of potential human health and environmental impacts including:
- Toxic exposures
- Air pollution
- Water pollution
- Climate change
- Natural resource use (e.g., energy, water, materials)
- Waste disposal
- Ecosystem damages
These impacts may occur at just one or at many places throughout the product's life cycle: e.g., extracting raw materials, manufacturing, packaging, distribution, retailing, and product use, repair or maintenance, and disposal.
By looking for greener products when you shop, you will be joining millions of Americans in helping protect human health and the environment.
For more information on why to buy greener products, here are some resources below.
Human Health Environmental Impact of Products
- EPA website on Sustainable Materials Management
- EPA report Opportunities to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions through Materials and Land Management Practices September 2009
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Household Products Database
Results achieved by product sustainability programs
- Outcomes Report, EPEAT Verification Round TV-2014-02 (PDF) 2014. Exit
- The Direct and Indirect Benefits of the European Ecolabel – Final Report for DG Environment at the European Commission (PDF) Exit
- EU report, Green Public Procurement in Europe (PDF) Exit