EPA Sustainability Progress
EPA works to demonstrate leadership among federal agencies by minimizing its environmental footprint. The Agency consistently meets—or exceeds—the Executive Orders and laws requiring federal greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reductions, energy efficiency, water conservation, sustainable buildings and solid waste diversion.
EPA progress in this area includes:
- Reducing the Agency’s Scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions since 2008.
- Initiating or completing major energy-efficient capital improvement projects.
- Implementing water conservation and stormwater management strategies.
- Incorporating the Guiding Principles for Sustainable Federal Buildings into its facilities.
- Meeting or exceeding sustainable purchasing, electronic stewardship and solid waste diversion requirements.
EPA has consistently received “green” scoring for nearly all categories on the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Sustainability/Energy scorecard, demonstrating the ongoing success of the Agency’s comprehensive approach to sustainability.