EPA Sustainability Progress
EPA works to demonstrate leadership among federal agencies by minimizing its environmental footprint. The Agency consistently meets—or exceeds—the Executive Orders and laws requiring federal greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reductions, energy efficiency, water conservation, sustainable buildings and solid waste diversion.
EPA progress in this area includes:
- Reducing the Agency’s Scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions since 2008.
- Initiating or completing major energy-efficient capital improvement projects.
- Implementing water conservation and stormwater management strategies.
- Incorporating the Guiding Principles for Federal Leadership in High-Performance and Sustainable Buildings into its facilities.
- Meeting or exceeding sustainable purchasing, electronic stewardship and solid waste diversion requirements.
EPA has received a score of “green” in every category on the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Sustainability/Energy scorecard since 2011, demonstrating the ongoing success of the Agency’s comprehensive approach to sustainability.