Revitalization Tools for Communities
EPA’s Land Revitalization Program offers technical assistance to communities facing the challenge of identifying and implementing reuse alternatives for formerly contaminated properties. Highlighted below are available tools and guidance to assist communities in finding and evaluating reuse alternatives for brownfields and other contaminated properties. An overview of some of the Land Revitalization Tools is provided in the Land Revitalization Program Tools for Communities Factsheet.
Prioritizing Sites for Reuse
- The PREPARED Workbook: Framework to assist local governments in evaluating potential property recovery actions for brownfields. Includes a step-by-step process for determining how to facilitate reuse alternatives for contaminated properties.
- The Community Reuse Property Prioritization Tool is designed to help communities prioritize properties based on a specific reuse plan. Additionally, the Tool supports communities in developing a low-level inventory that can be used to prioritize brownfields for future assessment, cleanup, and redevelopment by capturing information that will help estimate the complexity of such activities.
Getting Ready to Leverage
- Setting the Stage for Leveraging Resources for Brownfields Revitalization: Guidance to assist communities in finding and attracting sufficient funding for brownfields redevelopment projects.
Preparing Stakeholder Workshops
- Brownfields Stakeholder Forum Kit: A guide to assist communities in planning effective brownfields stakeholder forums. Provides example agendas, invitations, logistics, etc as well as other guidance to assist communities in engaging stakeholders and establishing partnerships to address brownfields revitalization challenges.
Urban Agriculture & Aquaponics
Tools to assist communities that are seeking agricultural reuses for brownfields. Includes guidance for developing a business plan for the setup and operation of urban farm and aquaponics facilities:
- Urban Farm Business Plan Handbook
- Urban Farm Business Plan Worksheets
- Urban Farm Business Plan Financial and Planning Spreadsheets
- Aquaponics Business Plan User Guide
- Aquaponics Business Plan Worksheets
- Aquaponics Business Plan Spreadsheets
- Brownfields and Urban Agriculture: Interim Guidelines for Safe Gardening Practices: Guidelines for developing agricultural reuse projects on brownfields.
Site Deconstruction & Materials Reuse
- Deconstruction Rapid Assessment Tool: Assists communities and contractors with assessing the potential value of materials that could be recycled by deconstructing a structure rather than demolishing it.
- Deconstruction Tools for Tribes and Rural Communities: Two tools that provide a step-by-step approach for calculating the feasibility and value of deconstructing buildings, reclaiming materials, and recycling materials for potential profit.
Residential Site Demolition
- Residential Demolition Tool: A guide for communities facing residential demolition. Provides guidance to communities for developing contract language for bid packages that instructs contractors on specific technical requirements to achieve improved environmental results during demolition.
Coordinating Infrastructure Improvements
- Public Infrastructure Coordinator Assessment and Planning Tool: Guidance to assist communities with identifying opportunities to leverage investments across infrastructure systems.
- EPA’s Guide "New Manufacturing on Old Brownfields" makes the case for siting advanced manufacturing facilities on brownfields by showcasing examples from three communities that are revitalizing brownfields for new manufacturing. It also includes a resource guide to assist communities working to reuse brownfields for new manufacturing.
Considering Changing Climate Conditions at Contaminated Sites
- The Climate Smart Brownfields Manual: This manual is a resource for communities that want to consider climate change as they assess, clean up, or redevelop brownfield sites. It provides guidance on best practices for climate change mitigation, adaption, and resilience at all stages of Brownfields work, from planning to redevelopment. In addition, the manual contains case studies and links to additional resources that communities can use as they develop Brownfields project plans.
- Brownfield Revitalization in Climate-Vulnerable Areas: Outlines nationally applicable examples of relevant regulatory standards, incentives and guidelines for communities to consider when updating their building code, zoning and subdivision regulations. This tool includes guidance for communities may use to inform their efforts to balance planning goals, increase climate resiliency, and promote economic development.