Hazard Standards for Lead in Paint, Dust and Soil (TSCA Section 403)
- Title: Lead; Identification of Dangerous Levels of Lead; Final Rule (January 5, 2001) (PDF) (36 pp, 356K, About PDF)
- Tracking numbers:
- Docket number: OPPTS-62156H; FRL-6763-5
- RIN: 2070-AC63
- Current phase: Final Rule Published
Does this regulation apply to me?
This rule establishes standards to help property owners, lead paint professionals and government agencies identify lead hazards in residential paint, dust and soil. The rule establishes standards for lead-based paint hazards (including hazards from lead in dust and soil) in most pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities. Under these standards, lead is considered a hazard when equal to or exceeding 40 micrograms of lead in dust per square foot on floors, 250 micrograms of lead in dust per square foot on interior window sills, and 400 parts per million (ppm) of lead in bare soil in children's play areas or 1200 ppm average for bare soil in the rest of the yard. In addition, paint in deteriorating condition, on a friction or impact surface, or on certain chewable surfaces is also defined as a hazard.
How do I comply?
These standards are incorporated into the Section 402/404 lead-based paint activity regulations. In addition, lead-based paint hazards trigger reporting obligations under the Section 1018 real estate disclosure regulations. Please refer to those regulations for information on compliance requirements regarding these hazard standards.
The rule became fully effective on March 6, 2001.
Get the Basics
To speak to a specialist about the lead hazard standards, call the National Lead Information Center at 800-424-LEAD (5323).
History of the Regulation
- Economic Analysis of Toxic Substances Control Act Section 403: Hazard Standards (PDF)
- Risk Analysis to Support Standards for Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil, June 1998 (EPA 747-R-97-006)
- Risk Analysis to Support Standards for Lead in Paint, Dust, and Soil: Supplemental Report, December 2000 (EPA 747-R-00-004)
- Response to Comments (PDF)
Proposed Rules and Other Notices
- 40 CFR Part 745, Review of the Dust-Lead Hazard Standards and the Definition of Lead-Based Paint; Proposed Rule- 6/22/2018
- 40 CFR Part 745, Lead; Identification of Dangerous Levels of Lead; Proposed Rule - 6/3/98
Policy and Guidance
- Additional rules relating to lead in paint, dust and soil
- Enforcement information relating to lead in paint, dust and soil
- Compliance information relating to lead in paint, dust and soil
- Policies and guidance relating to lead in paint, dust and soil