In 2016, the 2009 review of Agency procedures for method detection limits, method quantitation limits, and calibration curves was reaffirmed. The review concluded that a single process did not meet the diverse needs of all programs and resulted in the publication of the documents below, which continue to improve communication among programs and enhance understanding regarding the various procedures each has adopted. An update to the Forum on Environmental Measurements Glossary is planned for FY2018.
- Forum on Environmental Measurements Glossary
- Detection Limit/Quantitation Limit Summary Table
- Method Detection/Quantitation: Program Use/Needs
- Calibration Curves: Program Use/Needs
A standardized method format, developed in the 1990s, has been used by our EPA offices as the template for revising old and writing new methods. This format establishes a consistent framework for all Agency methods.
- Environmental Monitoring Management Council (EMMC) Methods Format (PDF)(4 pp, 69 K, About PDF)
- EPA Drinking Water Format
- SW-846 Method Style Guide
Method Sources and Support
Below are documents used to support method development.
- Test Method Index (A valuable reference and resource, last updated in April 2003.)
- Compilation of Air Pollutant Emission Factors (AP 42), Volume I
- Test Guidelines for Pesticides and Toxic Substances