Wolverine World Wide Tannery
Site Update - July 2018
EPA is overseeing a contamination study at Wolverine World Wide’s former tannery in Rockford, Mich. Sampling began on Monday, June 18, and will continue for approximately 10 weeks. Sampling at the company’s former House Street landfill in Plainfield Township started at the end of May and was anticipated to take six weeks, but an additional 3 weeks were authorized to complete more extensive testing.
Under the direction of EPA and per its January 2018 administrative order, Wolverine will sample soil, sediment, and groundwater for hazardous substances including heavy metals, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and semi-VOCs. A soil gas survey will also be conducted.
EPA continues to work with the State of Michigan on a coordinated enforcement approach at the Wolverine sites in and around Rockford that are contaminated with PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) and hazardous substances. The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality remains the lead agency addressing drinking water contamination from PFAS.
EPA recently launched a cross-agency effort to ensure that communities across the country have the tools they need to address PFAS. EPA’s efforts will build on the work the agency has done to establish non-regulatory drinking water health advisories for PFOA and PFOS. Learn more about this effort: EPA Launches Cross-Agency Effort to Address PFAS.
For more information:
Concerned residents can contact the State of Michigan Environmental Assistance Center at 800-662-9278 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about exposure to PFAS in drinking water, please contact the MDHHS Toxicology Hotline at 800-648-6942.
- For information from the Kent County Department of Health about health effects of PFAS, please call 616-632-7100 or email KCPFAS@kentcountymi.gov.
- Approval with modifications - Wolverine - House Street EOC Work Plan
- Unilateral Administrative Order for Removal Actions for Wolverine World Wide
- Cover Letter Re: Wolverine Worldwide Tannery and House Street Disposal Site Unilateral Administrative Order under CERCLA Section 106
- Enforcement Action Memorandum - Wolverine Worldwide Tannery and House Street Disposal Site