Wolverine World Wide Tannery
Site Update - Feb. 2018
EPA is continuing to support the state of Michigan and Kent County as work continues to address PFAS contamination from the Wolverine’s operations in the Rockford area. On Dec. 27 and 28, 2017, EPA tested filtered and unfiltered well water at 16 homes in the Rockford, Michigan, area. Overall, samples taken without filters from seven homes contained levels that exceeded EPA’s health advisory limit of 70 parts per trillion (ppt) for PFOA and PFOS in drinking water. The highest level detected was a combined PFOS and PFOA level of 9,700 ppt. All filtered drinking water samples for PFOA and PFOAS were below EPA’s health advisory limit. The results also contain detections for PFAS other than PFOA and PFOS. EPA continues to gather more information on these substances but has not set health-based levels. EPA has informed the residents of their results.
In addition, on Jan. 10, EPA issued an administrative order to Wolverine World Wide Inc. requiring Wolverine to conduct further assessment and potential cleanup of hazardous substances (such as lead and arsenic) at its former tannery and at the House Street landfill in Rockford.
EPA recently launched a cross-agency effort to ensure that communities across the country have the tools they need to address PFAS. EPA’s efforts will build on the work the agency has done to establish non-regulatory drinking water health advisories for PFOA and PFOS. Learn more about this effort: EPA Launches Cross-Agency Effort to Address PFAS
For more information:
- Concerned residents can contact the State of Michigan Environmental Assistance Center at 800-662-9278 or email@example.com.
- For questions about exposure to PFAS in drinking water, please contact the MDHHS Toxicology Hotline at 800-648-6942.
- For information from the Kent County Department of Health about health effects of PFAS, please call 616-632-7100 or email KCPFAS@kentcountymi.gov.
- Approval with modifications - Wolverine - House Street EOC Work Plan
- Unilateral Administrative Order for Removal Actions for Wolverine World Wide
- Cover Letter Re: Wolverine Worldwide Tannery and House Street Disposal Site Unilateral Administrative Order under CERCLA Section 106
- Enforcement Action Memorandum - Wolverine Worldwide Tannery and House Street Disposal Site