General Permits for Ocean Dumping
EPA may issue a general permit under the Marine Protection, Research and Sanctuaries Act (MPRSA) for the ocean dumping of certain materials that will have a minimal adverse environmental impact and are generally disposed of in small quantities. EPA may also issue general permits for special classes of materials that must be disposed of in emergency situations. General permits do not require an application for a case-specific permit.
Ocean Disposal Sites for General Permits
General permits do not require a separate ocean disposal site designation under the MPRSA. The geographical areas or regions where materials may be dumped are specified as a condition in each general permit.
MPRSA General Permits
EPA has issued general permits for the following ocean dumping activities, some of which require prior consultation, for example, to ensure applicability or to identify an appropriate disposal location at sea:
- Burial at Sea of cremated or non-cremated human remains
- Transportation and Disposal of Vessels at Sea
- Transport of Target Vessels for Ocean Disposal by the U.S. Navy for the Sink Exercise Program (SINKEX)
- Ocean Disposal of Man-Made Ice Piers by National Science Foundation in Antarctica
- Ocean Disposal of Marine Mammal Carcasses