An official website of the United States government.

What do I need to submit to EPA if I have an oil discharge?

The owner/operator must provide the following: 

  • Name and location of the facility 
  • Owner/operator name 
  • Maximum storage/handling capacity of the facility and normal daily throughput 
  • Corrective actions and countermeasures taken, including descriptions of equipment repairs and replacements 
  • Adequate description of the facility, including maps, flow diagrams, and topographical maps, as necessary 
  • Cause of the discharge to navigable waters, including a failure analysis 
  • Failure analysis of the system where the discharge occurred 
  • Additional preventive measures taken or planned to take to minimize discharge reoccurrence 
  • Other information the RA may reasonably require 

An owner/operator must also send a copy of this information to the agency or agencies in charge of oil pollution control activities in the state in which the facility is located.