Label Review Training: Module 1: Label Basics, Page 6
Section 2: Who are the stakeholders?
By the end of this section, you will be able to:
- Define “registrants.”
- Name the organizations that regulate pesticides.
- Explain the role of pesticide users.
- Name the organizations that conduct pesticide compliance and enforcement programs.
- Explain the role of extension services.
- Identify each stakeholder group's unique needs.
Registrants are people and companies who have registered any pesticide in compliance with the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA).
Pesticide registration is the process through which EPA examines:
- Ingredients of a pesticide.
- Site or crop on which it is to be used.
- Amount, frequency, and timing of its use.
- Testing data that show the potential health and environmental effects of a pesticide.
- Testing data that show efficacy against public health pests.
- Storage and disposal practices.
EPA evaluates the pesticide to ensure that it will not have unreasonable adverse effects on humans, the environment, and non–target species. Pesticides must be registered by EPA before they may be sold or distributed in the United States.