Become a Partner
RAD is a voluntary partnership program that works with utilities, retailers, manufacturers, state and local government agencies, affiliates, and others to dispose of old refrigerated appliances using the best environmental practices available—going beyond federal requirements to protect Earth’s climate and ozone layer.
- Complying with laws on the recovery of refrigerant, used oil, and PCBs
- Recovering appliance foam
- Promoting recycling of all durable goods
- Promoting the permanent retirement of old, inefficient appliances to save energy
Why become a partner?
Joining the RAD program is a win-win for you and the environment. Partner benefits include:
RAD Partners are publically recognized by EPA for:
RAD partners receive national recognition as environmental leaders through annual reports, EPA’s website, case studies, press releases, and more.
- Protecting the ozone layer and reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Saving landfill space and energy by recycling rather than landfilling durable materials
- Keeping communities safe by avoiding the release of used oil, mercury, and PCBs
EPA helps RAD partners calculate annual and cumulative program benefits, including: ozone-depleting substance (ODS) and GHG emission savings and equivalents, energy savings, landfill space savings, avoided releases of harmful substances, and potential cost savings.
EPA provides partners with an annual summary of their program’s environmental benefits, making it quick and easy for you to report out.
- Track environmental benefits achieved by your program
- Document your RAD achievements in corporate sustainability reports
- Benchmark voluntary commitments and show progress over time
Access to EPA RAD Logo
Partners gain access to the EPA RAD logo when they join.
RAD partners use the EPA RAD logo on marketing materials, videos, websites, press releases, and more.
- Distinguish your organization as an industry leader
- Show others how you are protecting the environment and benefiting communities
- Communicate your environmental commitment to consumers, customers, and other target audiences
Tools and Resources
EPA provides partners with a variety of tools and resources related to responsible appliance disposal, including:
EPA can assist you with communicating the benefits of your appliance disposal program to a variety of target audiences.
- Partner case studies
- Disposal and recycling fact sheets
- Guidance documents
- Materials communicating the benefits of RAD
Access to a National Network
RAD provides access to a national network of utilities, retailers, appliance manufacturers, states, and others that are working together to protect our environment and communities through responsible appliance disposal.
RAD partners meet in-person and virtually to network, exchange information, and share best practices.
- Exchange information and best practices with other partners
- Build relationships with industry peers
- Participate in partner-only webinars and meetings
- Leverage RAD partnerships to make your program more efficient and effective
How to become a partner
RAD partnerships take effect when a partnership or state affiliate agreement is signed by the authorized representatives of the partner or affiliate and EPA. In certain cases, standard partnership and state affiliate agreements may be modified to address special legal requirements of partners or affiliates.
For more information about joining the RAD program and to receive a standard partnership agreement or state affiliate agreement, please contact Sally Hamlin at Hamlin.Sally@epa.gov. To learn more about partner responsibilities and program expectations, visit the Partner Roles & Responsibilities page. To identify recycling facilities in your area, visit the Find Recycling Facilities Servicing RAD Partners page.