The EPA is evaluating the air quality impact of lead emissions from aircraft using leaded aviation gasoline as described in the Federal Lead Action Plan to Reduce Childhood Lead Exposures and Associated Health Impacts and in response to petitioner’s requests.
The materials provided here describe methods to calculate airport lead inventories, fact sheets on air quality monitoring at airports, a report and fact sheet on model-extrapolated estimates of lead concentrations at airports and estimates of the number of people who live near or attend school near airports.
- (4 pp, 140 K, February 2020, EPA-420-F-20-008)
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released two technical reports that provide information relevant to evaluating the impact of piston-engine aircraft operating on leaded fuel on air quality at and around U.S. airports. This fact sheet provides information and relevant background and a short summary of these reports.
- (144 pp, 4.1 MB, February 2020, EPA-420-R-20-003)
This report provides estimated ranges of lead concentrations at and near airports where leaded aviation gas is used.
- EPA Response to External Peer Review Comments on the EPA Report: Model-extrapolated Estimates of Airborne Lead Concentrations at U.S. Airports (PDF) (67 pp, 1.4 MB, February 2020, EPA-420-R-20-004)
- (28 pp, 1 MB, February 2020, EPA-420-R-20-001)
This report provides a national-scale analysis of the number of people who live or attend school within 500 meters (one half kilometer) of airport runways in the U.S.
- EPA Response to External Peer Review Comments on the EPA Report: National Analysis of the Populations Residing Near or Attending School Near U.S. Airports (PDF) (135 pp, 2.7 MB, February 2020, EPA-420-R-20-002)
- Fact Sheet: Program Overview on Airport Lead Monitoring (PDF) (4 pp, 215 K, EPA-420-F-15-003, January 2015)
This Program Summary provides a final summary of the data on concentrations of lead measured at 17 airport facilities in the U.S.
- Fact Sheet: Program Update on Airport Lead Monitoring (PDF) (4 pp, 210 K, EPA-420-F-13-032, June 2013)
This Program Update provided a summary of the data on concentrations of lead measured at 17 airport facilities in the U.S.
- Calculating Piston-Engine Aircraft Airport Inventories for Lead for the 2008 National Emissions Inventory (PDF) (22 pp, 738 K, EPA-420-B-10-044, December 23, 2010)
This Technical Support Document (TSD) provides the methodology used to estimate airport-specific lead emissions for the National Emissions Inventory (NEI).
- Development and Evaluation of an Air Quality Modeling Approach for Lead Emissions from Piston-Engine Aircraft Operating on Leaded Aviation Gasoline (PDF) (86 pp, 6.5 MB, EPA-420-R-10-007, February 2010)
This final report presents the results of EPA's study to develop a modeling approach to quantify how emissions from piston-engine aircraft affect ambient lead levels at the local scale.
- Memorandum on Selection of Airports for the Airport Monitoring Study (PDF)(40 pp, 15 MB, November 2010)