Compliance Overview for the E15 RVP and RIN Market Reform Final Rule
The following resources are intended to help regulated parties comply with the regulatory changes in EPA’s May 30, 2019 final rulemaking titled Modifications to Fuel Regulations to Provide Flexibility for E15; Modifications to the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) Renewable Identification Number (RIN) Market Regulations (84 FR 26980).
This rulemaking extends the 1-psi Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) waiver that previously applied during the summer months to gasoline ethanol blend containing up to 10 percent ethanol (E10) to also include blends containing up to 15 percent ethanol (E15). Under the revised regulations, E15 can be sold year-round without additional RVP control.
This rule also includes changes designed to bring greater transparency to the renewable identification number (RIN) compliance system and deter price manipulation within the RIN market.
The RIN-related reforms include provisions that:
- Require parties to disclose publicly when RIN holdings exceed specified thresholds
- Enable EPA to collect additional data to improve market transparency and enhance EPA oversight
- Compliance Overview of the E15 RVP/RIN Market Reform Rule (PDF) (27 pp, 398 K, October 2019, EPA-420-F-19-068, About PDF)
- Final Rule
Resources Related to E15:
- About E15 Fuel
- Requirements for E15 Fuel
Resources Related to RIN Market Reform:
- Temporary Guidance RIN Holding Secondary Threshold Calculations (pdf) (8 pp, 218 K, June 2021, EPA-420-B-21-032, About PDF)
- (20 pp, 265 K, December 2019, EPA-420-B-19-057, About PDF)
- Example RIN Holdings and RIN Holding Thresholds Calculations (PDF) (9 pp, 286 K, November 2019, EPA-420-B-19-056, About PDF)
- RIN Holdings Calculation Tool (xlsx) Free Viewers