OncoLogic™ - A Computer System to Evaluate the Carcinogenic Potential of Chemicals
The OncoLogic™ model is a predictive system that mimics the judgment of human experts by following sets of knowledge rules based on studies of how chemicals cause cancer in animals and humans. OncoLogic™ asks for chemical and use information from the user, and following the knowledge rules incorporated into the system, uses the responses to construct an estimation of the carcinogencity potential of the chemical.
Key characteristics of the system include:
- Subsystems that can evaluate fibers, metals, polymers, and more than 52 classes of organic chemicals.
- Insight for industry when conducting preliminary reviews of candidate substances during research and development of the cancer-causing potential of chemicals.
- Knowledge for regulatory agencies to assess the potential cancer concern of existing chemicals for which cancer bioassay data are not available.
- OncoLogic™ has been peer reviewed, runs on a Windows® PC, and is being released by EPA at no cost, to be available to any researcher or organization wishing to evaluate cancer potential of chemicals.
- If the chemical of interest cannot be placed into one of the chemical classes listed, check the Miscellaneous Class or use the Functional Analysis component.
- A user should be familiar with organic chemistry and know certain characteristics of the chemical of interest including: structure (including subunits present), physical/chemical properties (stability, etc.), biological and mechanistic information, as well as possible routes of exposure.
- The general public is advised to seek assistance from chemists, carcinogenesis experts, and other environmental health specialists when using OncoLogic™.
OncoLogic™ Version 8.0.msi(10 MB, February, 2019)
Included in the "Help File" within the OncoLogic Program are the Quick Start Tutorial and the OncoLogic™ User Guide, which are also posted below for separate download, along with other documentation to assist users in operation and interpretation of the OncoLogic model.
- OncoLogic™ Quick Start Tutorial
- OncoLogic™: Frequently Asked Questions
- OncoLogic™ User Guide
- Running the model
- Interpreting results
- OncoLogic™ Cancer Assessment Presentation for Sustainable Futures Program
U.S. EPA Technical Contact:
Cathy Fehrenbacher, U.S. EPA
Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention
Risk Assessment Division
1200 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.
Washington, DC 20460-0001