EPA is proposing revisions to strengthen the 1988 federal underground storage tank (UST) regulations by increasing emphasis on properly operating and maintaining UST equipment. These revisions will help improve prevention and detection of UST releases, which are one of the leading sources of groundwater contamination. The revisions will also help ensure all USTs in the United States, including those in Indian country, meet the same minimum standards. This is the first time EPA is proposing significant revisions to the federal UST regulations since they were first promulgated in 1988.
- Public comment period closed April 16, 2012.
- February 15, 2012 Federal Register Notice - Extends Comment Period For Proposed UST Regulations (PDF) (2 pp, 148K, About PDF)
- November 18, 2011 Federal Register Notice – Proposed UST Regulations (PDF) (89 pp, 1.6MB, About PDF)
EPA’s proposal revises the UST technical regulation in 40 CFR part 280 by:
- Adding secondary containment requirements for new and replaced tanks and piping
- Adding operator training requirements for UST system owners and operators
- Adding periodic operation and maintenance requirements for UST systems
- Removing certain deferrals
- Adding new release prevention and detection technologies
- Updating codes of practice
- Making editorial and technical corrections
EPA is also proposing to update the state program approval (SPA) requirements in 40 CFR part 281 to incorporate the proposed changes to the UST technical regulation listed above.
For more information, contact Elizabeth McDermott at email@example.com or 202-564-0646.
EPA developed resources to help interested and affected stakeholders review the proposed revisions to the 1988 UST regulations:You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Comparison of 1988 UST Regulations and Proposed UST Regulations (PDF)(8 pp, 125 K)
- Wastewater Treatment Tank Systems (PDF)(5 pp, 104 K)
- 40 CFR Part 280 - Red Line Strikeout of 1988 UST Regulations (PDF)(119 pp, 585 K)
- Appendix I - Notification For Underground Storage Tanks - Red Line Strikeout of 1988 UST Regulations (PDF)(5 pp, 135 K)
- Appendix II - Notification Of Ownership Change For USTs - Red Line Strikeout of 1988 UST Regulations (PDF)(4 pp, 139 K)
- Appendix III - Statement for Shipping Tickets and Invoices - Red Line Strikeout of 1988 UST Regulations (PDF)(1 pg, 37 K)
- 40 CFR part 281 - Red Line Strikeout of 1988 UST Regulations (PDF)(18 pp, 101 K)
Regulatory Impact Analysis (PDF)(155 pp, 1 MB)
assesses the potential costs, benefits, and other impacts of the proposed revisions to the 1988 UST regulations