Certification for All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and Dirt Bikes
Follow these steps for certification.
STEP 1: Confirm that you have access to Engines and Vehicles Compliance Information System (EV-CIS).
STEP 2: Update manufacturer information in EV-CIS.
To update information, users must have the "Maintain Manufacturer Information" role in EV-CIS. Otherwise, users will only be able to view the information.
- Industry sector(s);
- Contacts and Industry/Compliance Programs;
- Test labs; and
- Notification email addresses (used for EV-CIS' broadcast notifications).
STEP 3: Review all applicable regulations.
Regulations provide requirements for certification and compliance.
- 40 CFR Part 1051
Control of emissions from recreational engines and vehicles.
- 40 CFR Part 1065
Engine testing procedures.
- 40 CFR Part 1068
General compliance provisions for highway, stationary, and nonroad programs.
- Information about Family Naming Conventions
- Road Load Force Target Coefficients for Vehicles Over 870kg, Certified Under 40 CFR Part 1051 (PDF)(2 pp, 118 K, August 2014, About PDF)
STEP 4: Pay appropriate certification fees, as applicable.
- For more details, go to: Fees Information
h2>STEP 5: Prepare certification application materials.
For each model year for an Engine Family, you must provide the applicable certification dataset and supporting materials.
Materials Specific to ATVs and Dirt Bikes
- MC/ATV Business Rules Release 27.0 (XLS) (xls)
- MC/ATV Data Requirements Release 27.0 (XLS) (xls)
- MCATV Schema Change Log 27.0
- XML Schema for MCATV – Release 27.0 (ZIP) (zip)
- Certification materials for ATVs & dirt bikes
Includes certification guidance, recommended application format, applicable regulations, and a spreadsheet to determine the road load force target coefficients and coastdown calibration times for vehicles over 870kg.
Materials for All EV-CIS Users
STEP 6: Submit the completed certification application materials in EV-CIS.
Login to EV-CIS through the CDX portal: Central Data Exchange (CDX)
Click the applicable industry role on the MyCDX homepage.
Submit the completed certification dataset and upload any required supporting materials.
STEP 7: Confirm that your submission(s) from Step 6 were accepted by EV-CIS.
Within a few minutes of all submissions, the submitter will receive a notification in their CDX inbox indicating whether the submission was accepted or rejected.
To access your CDX inbox, click the "Inbox" link on the left navigation bar of the MyCDX homepage.
STEP 8: Submit a request for certificate (RFC).
A CROMERR signer must submit an RFC for each Engine Family.
To do so, click the "CROMERR Signer" role on your MyCDX homepage.
- For more about submitting an RFC, see: Webinar and Demonstration
STEP 9: Receive Certificate of Conformity.
The CROMERR signer will receive the certificate in his or her CDX inbox.
To access your CDX inbox, click the "Inbox" link on the left navigation bar.