Report Contents and Supplement
This report was prepared in 1997 and has not been updated. It is posted here for archival purposes only. For more current guidelines on water quality reporting under Section 305(b) and Section 303(d), please visit Implementing Clean Water Act Section 303(d): Impaired Waters and Total Maximum Daily Loads (TMDLs).
To order a hard copy of this two-volume document call the National Service Center for Environmental Publications (NSCEP) at 1-800-490-9198 and provide the following two document numbers: EPA841-B-97-002A and EPA841-B-97-002B.
Report Contents (Volume 1)
This volume provides an overview of the 305(b) process and detailed guidance on the contents of the narrative report and electronic assessment database.
- Report Contents (Report Cover and Acknowledgments)
- Table of Contents, Volume 1: 305(b) Report Contents
- Section 1: The 305(b) Process
- Section 2: Summary of Changes Since the 1996 305(b) Guidelines
- Section 3: 305(b) Contents — Parts I and II: Summary and Background
- Section 4: 305(b) Contents — Part III: Surface Water Assessment
- Section 5: 305(b) Contents — Part IV: Ground Water Assessment
- Section 6: Electronic Reporting of 305(b) Assessments
- Section 7: References
Supplement (Volume 2)
This volume provides guidance on designing assessments, evaluating water quality data, and measuring biological integrity. It also contains a number of appendices (which are not available electronically at this time).
- Supplement (Report Cover and Acknowledgments)
- Table of Contents, Volume 2: Guidelines Supplement
- Section 1: Water Quality Assessments Under Section 305(b)
- Section 2: Designing Assessments and Managing Information
- Section 3: Making Use Support Determinations
- Section 3: Case Studies
- Section 4: Measuring and Reporting the Biological Integrity Indicator
- Section 5: References
Report Package Files:You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Guidelines for Preparation of the Comprehensive State Water Quality Assessments (305(b) Reports) and Electronic Updates (1997)_Volume1 (PDF)(161 pp, 320 K, September 1997, EPA841-B-97-002A)
- Guidelines for Preparation of the Comprehensive State Water Quality Assessments (305(b) Reports) and Electronic Updates (1997)_Supplement-Volume2 (PDF)(132 pp, 319 K, September 1997, EPA-841-B-97-002B)