Primers for Water Quality Surveillance and Response
A surveillance and response system (SRS) provides a systematic framework for enhancing distribution system monitoring capabilities to detect emerging water quality issues and respond before they become problems. View the following videos or read the primer documents to learn about the design of a complete SRS and each of its components.
- SRS System Primer Video - Integrate multiple surveillance components with a response framework.
- Online Water Quality Monitoring Primer Video - Use data collected from online water quality instruments deployed for source water or distribution system monitoring to detect water quality anomalies, inform treatment, and support system operations.
- Physical Security Monitoring (Enhanced Security Monitoring) Primer Video - Use physical security equipment at key distribution system facilities to detect unauthorized entries that could lead to a contamination incident.
- Customer Complaint Surveillance Primer Video - Monitor water quality complaint data to identify abnormal volumes or spatial clustering of complaints that might indicate drinking water contamination.
- Public Health Surveillance Primer Video- Monitor public health data to identify unusual clustering of illnesses that might be caused by contaminated drinking water.
- Water Contamination Response (Consequence Management) Primer Video - Minimize consequences by establishing procedures for responding to possible drinking water contamination.
- Sampling and Analysis Primer Video - Use field and laboratory water sample results to help confirm or rule out possible water contamination.
- SRS System Primer (pdf)
- Online Water Quality Monitoring Primer (pdf)
- Physical Security Monitoring (Enhanced Security Monitoring) Primer (pdf)
- Customer Complaint Surveillance Primer (pdf)
- Public Health Surveillance Primer (pdf)
- Water Contamination Response (Consequence Management) (pdf)
- Sampling and Analysis Primer (pdf)