Visiting EPA's Region 5 Office in Chicago
US EPA Region 5
Ralph Metcalfe Federal Building
77 West Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, IL 60604
You will not need to show a photo ID to enter the building.
Everyone (e.g., visitors, general public, non-federal workers) entering the building will be screened by a metal detector. All bags and other items must through an x-ray scan. Building security is monitored by the uniformed guards of the Federal Protective Service.
All EPA visitors entering the EPA office spaces will be issued a visitor’s badge by the badge office attendant or floor receptionist. Visitors must be accompanied by an EPA employee. Once their business is completed, visitors must return their badge to the attendant or receptionist.
- Regional Administrator reception area - 19th floor
- Regional Hearing Clerk (RHC) -19th floor
- Valdas V. Adamkus Conference Center -12th floor
- General Services Administration Conference Center - 3rd floor
- ATM, snack shop, food court - 2nd floor
The Metcalfe Federal Building is located in downtown Chicago at the intersection of Clark and Jackson, on the southeast corner.
- From 90-94, exit east on Congress (290), then turn north (left) on Dearborn, west (left) on Adams, south (left) on Clark.
- From 290, continue east on Congress into downtown Chicago, then turn north (left) on Dearborn, west (left) on Adams, south (left) on Clark.
- From Lake Shore Drive, exit west on Jackson, turn north on Michigan, west on Adams, south on Clark.
There are several parking lots near the Metcalfe Building, and a limited amount of metered street parking on Clark Street. The closest garage is at the south end of the building; you can enter it from Federal Street or Van Buren Street. Costs vary by garage and amount of time parked. There is no parking within the Metcalfe Federal Building itself.
Public Transportation The following links exit the site Exit
- Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) runs city buses and the subway/elevated light rail system. Closest El/subway stops are: La Salle/Van Buren (Pink, Orange, Brown, Purple lines), Jackson (Blue line) and Jackson (Red line)
- MetraRail is the regional rail system
- Amtrak comes into Union Station, six blocks from the EPA office
- PACE is the regional bus service
Cabs are readily available on most downtown Chicago streets. Charges are by meter. Ask for the (southeast) corner of Clark and Jackson.