Risk Management for 1-Bromopropane
Below is information on EPA actions to manage risks from 1-bromopropane (1-BP) and protect public health. 1-BP is used as a solvent in commercial and industrial applications and as a reactant in the manufacturing of other chemical substances. Common uses of 1-BP include adhesives, degreasers, cleaners, and automobile care products.
On this page:
- Managing risks found in the 2020 final risk evaluation
- Opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement
On other pages:
- Learn how EPA manages unreasonable risks from chemicals currently on the market.
- View a list of all chemicals undergoing risk evaluation, including docket numbers and agency points of contact.
In August 2020, EPA released the final risk evaluation for 1-BP under amended TSCA. The final risk evaluation for 1-BP shows that there are unreasonable risks to workers, occupational non-users, consumers, and bystanders for 16 out of 25 conditions of use. EPA did not find unreasonable risks to the environment or to the general population for all conditions of use.
The next step in the process required by TSCA is addressing these risks. There are several actions EPA could take to address these risks, including regulations to prohibit or limit the manufacture, processing, distribution in the marketplace, use, or disposal of this chemical substance, as applicable. EPA is now in the process of developing ways to address the unreasonable risks identified and has up to one year to propose and take public comments on any risk management actions.
- Learn more about the unreasonable risks found in the final risk evaluation.
- Find information on ways to reduce exposure to this chemical as EPA works through the process required by TSCA to reduce or eliminate unreasonable risks from this chemical.
There will be additional opportunities for public and stakeholder engagement as EPA works through the risk management process for this chemical. Just like the risk evaluation process, there will also be opportunities for public comment as EPA works to propose and finalize risk management actions for the conditions of use of 1-BP that EPA has determined present an unreasonable risk.
- View a list of all public and stakeholder engagement opportunities related to risk management.
- You can reach out to the EPA point of contact for this chemical, listed at the top, right of this page, for more information or to schedule a one-on-one meeting.
- You can also stay informed by signing for our email alerts or checking the public docket at EPA-HQ-OPPT-2020-0471 at www.regulations.gov.
Past Meetings, Webinars, and Other Engagement Opportunities
EPA held two identical consultation webinars, one on November 16 and the other on November 19, to consult with environmental justice communities on risk management for methylene chloride and 1-BP. View the materials for the webinars.
The deadline for self-nominations for the 1-BP Small Business Advocacy Review (SBAR) panel was September 30, 2020. Learn more about the potential SBAR panel.
On September 30, 2020, EPA held a webinar giving an overview of the TSCA risk managment process and the findings in the final risk evaluation for 1-BP. View the materials for the webinar.