Asthma Awareness Month
May is Asthma Awareness Month—a time to educate friends, family, and patients about asthma and promote awareness about how this serious, sometimes life-threatening, chronic respiratory disease can be controlled.
During Asthma Awareness Month, EPA provides ready-to-use tools and resources for use promoting asthma awareness in your community.
On this page:
- Take action
- Find asthma resources from our partners
The first step in raising asthma awareness is learning the facts. Find resources about the intersection between asthma and public health.
Once you know the facts, you can use the materials and resources on this page to take action in your community!
Use any of the materials below to spread asthma awareness through your network and educate others! Use the hashtags #asthma, #AsthmaAwarenessMonth, and/or #WorldAsthmaDay, and tag @EPA and/or @EPAair.
- Sample Social Media(6 pp, 37 K)
- Download sample social media posts that you can use or modify for your network. Themes include:
- Asthma Awareness;
- Learn about Environmental Asthma Triggers;
- Join the Asthma Community Network;
- Learn about the National Environmental Leadership Award in Asthma Management; and
- Find Asthma Resources.
- Asthma Awareness Month Infographics - Share any of the following infographics during Asthma Awareness Month to highlight information about asthma triggers, and download an example asthma action plan.
Click on each image to download a larger file, or download a PDF version of all the infographics. secondhand smoke infographics developed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Public Service Announcements and Multimedia Resources for Asthma: Find multimedia resources to raise public awareness of asthma, including videos.
- Asthma Community Network: Asthma Community Network is an online network designed for community-based asthma programs and sponsoring organizations (e.g., health care providers, government health and environmental agencies, nonprofits, coalitions, schools, etc.). It features the only online compendium of over 600 asthma resources. Join the network to meet asthma champions around the country and learn about Asthma Awareness Month planning activities.
- Financing In-Home Asthma Care: This microsite on AsthmaCommunityNetwork.org provides information focused on delivering and paying for in-home asthma care to improve outcomes for children with asthma.
The National Environmental Leadership Award in Asthma Management is awarded each year to honor exceptional community-based asthma programs that deliver environmental asthma management as part of their comprehensive asthma care services.
Winners of this national recognition:
- Address environmental triggers as part of a comprehensive asthma program;
- Foster high-performing collaborations and partnerships; and
- Improve the daily lives of those with asthma and their families.
- Federal Agencies and Organizations Addressing Environmental Asthma: Learn about efforts from other federal agencies, national nonprofit organizations, and EPA regional offices working to advance asthma care through outreach and education on environmental asthma triggers.
- Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) in Schools: Nearly 1 in 13 children of school-age has asthma, which is the leading cause of school absenteeism due to chronic illness. Find resources from the IAQ Tools for Schools program promoting healthy learning environments and learn about implementing IAQ management plans in your school.