Consumer Confidence Report Rule and Rule History for Water Systems
On this page:
Official CCR Rule Documentation
- Final Rule: National Primary Drinking Water Regulations: Consumer Confidence Reports, August 19, 1998 (PDF)(25 pp, 354 K, About PDF)
- CCR Regulations, including all technical corrections and amendments as published in the July 1, 2005 Code of Federal Register
- Updated version of the CCR Rule Appendix A.
- Table containing maximum contaminant levels (MCLs), MCLs in CCR-regulated units, maximum contaminant level goals (MCLGs), major sources of and health effects language for all regulated contaminants that must be reported in the CCR, if detected.
CCR Retrospective Review Summary
The Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) Rule was included in U.S. EPA’s Final Plan for Periodic Retrospective Reviews of Existing Regulations (August 2011). The CCR Rule Retrospective Review began in October 2011 and was completed in December 2012.
Consumer Confidence Report Rule Retrospective Review Summary summarizes the CCR Rule Retrospective Review process and findings and potential follow-up actions.
Stakeholders identified five areas in the CCR Rule in which the EPA could potentially improve the effectiveness of communicating drinking water information to the public or reduce the burden of community water systems and primacy agencies. The five areas include the following:
- CCR understandability;
- Reporting MCLs in numbers greater than or equal to 1.0;
- Reporting period for including a Tier 3 Public Notice (PN) in the CCR;
- The certification of CCR delivery and content by the community water system to the primacy agency; and;
- Electronic delivery of the CCR.
- The Complete proposed rule language as published in the Federal Register:
Proposed Rule (63 FR 7605) February 13, 1998.
- The Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) Rule was included in U.S. EPA’s Final Plan for Periodic Retrospective Reviews of Existing Regulations (August 2011).
- The CCR Rule Retrospective Review began in October 2011 and was completed in December 2012.
- Consumer Confidence Report Rule Retrospective Review Summary
EPA 816-S-12-001, December 2012