Student Curriculum: Recipes for Healthy Kids and a Healthy Environment
This nine-lesson program, Recipes for Healthy Kids and a Healthy Environment, was designed to excite kids about environmental health and empower them to take steps in their everyday lives to improve the environment for their community and reduce their environmental risk.
- Geared toward children ages 9 - 13.
- Can be used inside or outside the classroom. The program encourages kids to actively explore the environments in which they live and play. It is geared toward use in:
- Out-of-school programs.
- Extracurricular groups.
- After-school clubs.
What Kids Will Learn
- What environmental health is.
- How to protect themselves and positively impact their communities around this issue.
- How to become champions for children’s environmental health in their homes, schools, and communities.
What the Lessons Include
- Easy-to-use lesson plan cards organized around key actions for teaching: ASK, DO, and EXPLAIN.
- One or more hands-on activities in each 45- minute lesson.
- Materials for kids to take home to share with their families.
- Posters and visual cards.
How to Teach Each Lesson
- Read and print the lesson plan.
- Decide on timing for the lesson and which activities to include.
- Print handout(s) for the kids to take home.