American Iron and Steel Requirement - Waiver Request Process
Each local entity that receives CWSRF and/or DWSRF water infrastructure financial assistance is required to use American made iron and steel products in the construction of its project. However, if the recipient can justify a claim made under one of the categories below, a waiver may be granted. Until a waiver is granted by EPA, the AIS requirement must be adhered to as described in the Act.
- AIS Overview and Guidance
- Waiver Requests Received by EPA
- Approved National Waivers
- Approved Project Waivers
- Draft National Waivers
- Withdrawn or Denied Waivers
How to Request a Waiver
- Community prepares the waiver request and submits it to the State SRF. The request should include project specifications for the product.
- State SRF reviews and submits the request to EPA.
- EPA posts the waiver request for public comment for 15 days (see the Waiver Requests Received by EPA tab).
- EPA provides a response and posts it on the website.
- EPA's implementation memorandum on AIS requirements includes specific instructions for communities interested in applying for a waiver.
- View the AIS Waiver Request Checklist for Assistance Recipients for details on what should be included in a waiver request.