We've made some changes to EPA.gov. If the information you are looking for is not here, you may be able to find it on the EPA Web Archive or the January 19, 2017 Web Snapshot.

Fed FUNDS for Water and Wastewater Utilities

Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Emergency Community Water Assistance Grants can provide funds to rural communities at two levels: 

  • A maximum grant of $500,000 to communities with a significant decline in quantity or quality of drinking water due to an emergency
  • A maximum grant of $150,000 to make emergency repairs and replacement of facilities on existing systems

Grants are also awarded when a significant decline in quality and quantity of water is imminent. The grants can pay to obtain or maintain adequate quantities of water that meet Safe Drinking Water Act standards.

Congress has made funds available for specific disasters. These funds include programs for repairing or reimbursing rural water utilities. Refer to the USDA for the most up-to-date information.