In 2014, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NAS) conducted an evaluation of the IRIS process. The NAS noted that the IRIS Program had made “substantial improvements” and provided recommendations in a report, Review of EPA’s Integrated Risk Information System [IRIS] Process. In response to these recommendations, the IRIS Program has made further advances in implementing systematic review and improved approaches for conducting dose-response analysis.
At the request of EPA, the NAS convened a public workshop on February 1-2, 2018, to assess the changes that have been implemented or that are planned to implemented by the IRIS Program. Workshop topics included advances in how IRIS evaluates studies critical for evidence integration, evidence evaluation, and dose-response methodologies. EPA anticipates receiving a final report from the NAS in Summer 2018.
Download Workshop MaterialsYou may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- National Academies of Sciences Committee to Review Advances Made to the IRIS Process: A Workshop (PDF)(151 pp, 9 MB)
- EPA’s Benchmark Dose Software (BMDS) Brochure (PDF)(2 pp, 438 K)
- EPA’s BMDS and Related Dose-Response Models and Methods Abstract (PDF)(1 pg, 251 K)
- Health Assessment Workspace Collaborative (HAWC) Abstract (PDF)(1 pg, 345 K)
- The Health and Environmental Research Online (HERO): Tools for Systematic Review Abstract (PDF)(1 pg, 436 K)
- SWIFT-Review: A Text-Mining Workbench for Systematic Review Abstract (PDF)(1 pg, 449 K)
- Quantitative Evaluation of Uncertainty Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 306 K)
- Mode of Action and Human Relevance Evaluation of Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 98 K)
- EPA Dose-Response and Related Software – New and Future Developments Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 1 MB)
- Evidence Profile Table for Diisobutyl Phthalate (DIBP) and Male Reproductive Toxicity Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 260 K)
- A New Bayesian Approach to Combining Difference Species Data Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 119 K)
- New Approach Methods in Human Health Risk Assessment Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 1 MB)
- Combining Data within Species: Meta-Analysis in IRIS Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 984 K)
- Systematic Evaluation of Physiologically-Based Pharmacokinetic Models (PBPK) Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 184 K)
- DIBP: A Case Study Application of Systemic Review Approaches Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 782 K)
- Epidemiology Studies of Phthalates: A Case Study Application of Systemic Review Approaches Poster (PDF)(1 pg, 256 K)