The Volunteer Estuary Monitoring Manual contains information and methodologies specific to monitoring estuarine water quality. The manual includes information that is useful to new and established volunteer estuary monitoring programs.
This manual aids in understanding estuaries, what makes them unique, the problems they face, and the role of humans in solving the problems. The manual explains how to establish and maintain a volunteer monitoring program, as well as working effectively with volunteers and ensuring their safety.
Managing and presenting data effectively, and making it available to data users are also part of effective volunteer estuary monitoring efforts. Finally, data quality assures the information collected and presented is of the highest quality.
Download the full document:You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
- Volunteer Estuary Monitoring: A Methods Manual - Second Edition (PDF)(396 pp, 7 MB)
- Front Material: Acknowledgements, Table of Contents, and Executive Summary (PDF)(15 pp, 1 MB)
- Chapter 1: About the Manual, including its purpose, how it is organized, and how it can be used (PDF)(7 pp, 210 K)
- Chapter 2: Overview, covering the science, the problems, and the solution (PDF)(17 pp, 980 K)
- Chapter 3: Planning and Maintaining a Volunteer Estuary Monitoring Program (PDF)(19 pp, 210 K)
- Chapter 4: Recruiting, Training, and Retaining Volunteers (PDF)(17 pp, 280 K)
- Chapter 5: Quality Assurance Project Planning (PDF)(27 pp, 263 K)
- Chapter 6: Sampling Considerations (PDF)(11 pp, 150 K)
- Chapter 7: In the Field (PDF)(23 pp, 353 K)
- Chapter 8: Data Management, Interpretation, and Presentation (PDF)(23 pp, 351 K)
- Chapter 9: Dissolved Oxygen and Biochemical Oxygen Demand (PDF)(19 pp, 301 K)
- Chapter 10: Nutrients - Nitrogen and Phosphorus (PDF)(17 pp, 621 K)
- Chapter 11: pH and Alkalinity (PDF)(13 pp, 179 K)
- Chapter 12: Contaminants and Toxic Chemicals, Heavy Metals, Pesticides, PCBs, and PAHs (PDF)(15 pp, 414 K)
- Chapter 13: Temperature (PDF)(9 pp, 136 K)
- Chapter 14: Salinity (PDF)(11 pp, 380 K)
- Chapter 15: Turbidity and Total Solids (PDF)(15 pp, 273 K)
- Chapter 16: Marine Debris (PDF)(17 pp, 372 K)
- Chapter 17: Bacteria Indicators of Potential Pathogens (PDF)(25 pp, 552 K)
- Chapter 18: Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (PDF)(19 pp, 451 K)
- Chapter 19: Other Living Organisms, Macroinvertebrates, Phytoplankton and Non-indigenous Species (PDF)(27 pp, 491 K)
- Appendix A: Sample Data Forms; Appendix B: Resources; and Appendix C: Equipment Suppliers (PDF)(48 pp, 2 MB)
- Back Material including Glossary and Index (PDF)(25 pp, 248 K)