Pesticide Use Site Index
This Pesticide Use Site Index will help a company (or other applicant) identify which data requirements are needed to register a pesticide product. This index introduces key information needed to complete the registration process:
- pesticide use sites; and
- major pesticide use patterns.
Each pesticide use site is specific to the pesticide product. For example, the pesticide use site identifies:
- Crops on which the pesticide product will be used.
- Where the pesticide product will be used, such as a
After identifying the appropriate pesticide use site, the company is then directed to one or more major use patterns.The major use pattern will point to the technical data requirements in 40 CFR part 158. This will identify which of the requirements might be pertinent to the pesticide use site.
The Pesticide Use Site Index replaced Appendix A "Data Requirements for Registration" last published in the July 1, 2006 version of 40 CFR part 158.
- How to use the index sorted by EPA preferred site terms
- How to use the index sorted by EPA crop group number and name
- How to use the indexes of major use patterns
- Aquatic food
- Aquatic nonfood
- Greenhouse food
- Greenhouse nonfood
- Indoor food
- Indoor nonfood
- Residential indoor
- Residential outdoor
- Terrestrial feed
- Terrestrial food
- Terrestrial nonfood
This index is an alphabetical list of use sites for all agricultural and nonagricultural uses. Each site is found under the EPA Preferred Site Term. An EPA-preferred site term is the standard terminology for a commodity with a wide range of common names. The EPA-preferred site term is the only term accepted in establishing pesticide tolerances.
- Identify the EPA-preferred site term that best corresponds to the pesticide product.
- Locate the major use pattern(s) associated with the EPA preferred site term; this will help determine which data requirements in 40 CFR part 158 apply to the pesticide product.
- The data requirement may be Required (R) or Conditionally Required (CR) in the tables in 40 CFR Part 158.
Example: Identify the major use pattern(s) for the EPA-Preferred Term “Almond.”
- Three major use pattern columns (Terrestrial food, Terrestrial nonfood, and Residential outdoor) contain an "X" for "Almond."
- The index also provides the EPA Crop Group Name and Number (40 CFR 180.41) for each EPA-preferred site term.
This index is a list of use sites for all agricultural and nonagricultural uses (see 40 CFR 180.41) sorted numerically by crop group number. A company interested in the specific commodities and representative commodities under each crop group can use the EPA-preferred site term for this information.
Example: the listing for "almond" in Pesticide Site Use Patterns (sorted by Group Number) identifies that it is in Crop Group Number 14, also known as the Nut, Tree Crop Group. All the members of the crop group are listed alphabetically, which facilitates identification of other tree nuts, such as Beechnut, Butternut, Cashew, etc.
There are 12 major use patterns. In each index to a pattern the EPA-Preferred Terms are arranged alphabetically. The EPA Crop Group Name and Number (40 CFR 180.41) also are supplied for each pesticide use site.
Example: the information under the EPA-preferred site term "Almond" in the major use pattern "Terrestrial Nonfood" also indicates that this site term can be found in two other major use patterns (Terrestrial food and Residential outdoor) and belongs to Crop Group Number 14, the Nut, Tree Crop Group.
Questions, comments, and suggestions may be directed to: email@example.com