How to Search for Tolerances for Pesticide Ingredients in the Code of Federal Regulations
Tolerances are published in the:
- Federal Register - publishes new tolerances and changes to tolerances
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
You can find tolerances for pesticide chemicals in the:
- Code of Federal Regulations (40 CFR Part 180), which is updated once a year; or
- electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR), updated daily.
How to Conduct an eCFR Search
- For crop tolerances, use the preferred terms in the Food and Feed Commodity Vocabulary.
- Go to the e-Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR).
- On the left sidebar, select "Simple Search."
- On the "simple search" page:
- Under “Order results by," select CFR Citation.
- Enter "40" in the “Title Number” box.
- Leave the "within" box as the default "Full Text."
- Enter the pesticide ingredient or crop preferred term in the "search for" box.
- Click on the "submit search" button.
- Part 180, Subpart C references that contain the specific tolerances.
- Select the item: "name of the pesticide"; tolerances for residues
For a list of pesticides that have tolerances or exemption from the requirements of an tolerance, see 40 CFR Part 180: Tolerances and exemptions from tolerances for pesticide chemicals in food.
More Help for Finding Tolerances
We have created indexes to 40 CFR Part 180 tolerances to help you more easily find tolerance information for:
- For crops, use the preferred terms in the Food and Feed Commodity Vocabulary.
- Specific commodities (crops).
- Pesticide types or families.
- Pesticide common name.
(Note that the eCFR is not an official legal version of the Code of Federal Regulations, but is updated by the Office of the Federal Register on a daily basis to reflect documents published in the Federal Register.)