Updated Pesticide Label Review Manual Chapters Now Available
For Release: April 24, 2018
EPA has updated Chapters 3, 7 and 17 of the Pesticide Label Review Manual. This manual for EPA label reviewers helps EPA’s stakeholders understand the pesticide labeling process and how labels should be drafted. The latest updates are as follows:
- Updated web-distributed labeling section to include container label language example;
- Updated label submission requirements section to include e-submission methods and added a note on submitting five replicates for paper copy submissions;
- Updated final printed labeling section to reflect current practices;
- Updated mode of action symbol reference from PR Notice 2001-5 to PR Notice 2017-1; and
- Updated first aid statement location per EPA’s guidance document “EPA’s Guidance for Pesticide Registrants on Location of the First Aid Statement per 40 CFR 156.68.”
- Added dermal sensitization to acute toxicity categories table (Table 1);
- Reinstated first aid statements per PR Notice 2001-1, and updated location of first aid statements per the Feb. 27, 2018, First Aid Guidance Document “EPA’s Guidance for Pesticide Registrants on Location of the First Aid Statement per 40 CFR 156.68”;
- Added Note to Physician statement for products containing zinc phosphide;
- Updated National Pesticide Information Center NPIC information in first aid statements example in Table 9;
- Changed “Labeling Options” section to “Modified precautionary statements for diluted products (aqueous solutions only)”;
- Removed redundant section on NPIC and referenced Chapter 15 for details; and
- Removed “Optional Labeling/Deviations” section and moved directions under their respective sections.
- Updated introduction section to include notes on declaring net contents information on application form 8570-1 and leaving net contents information blank on draft label for refillable containers;
- Updated NIST Handbook 130 reference for Bag on Valve unit measurements; and
- Switched order of Sections III and IV.
Please use the Pesticide Labeling Questions & Answers – Form to submit questions or comments on the manual.