Managing the Quality of Environmental Data at EPA Region 7
The Region 7 Quality Assurance Office manages the Quality System (a.k.a. the Quality Assurance Program) for the Region to ensure environmental data collected or used by or for the Region comply with the Agency’s quality assurance requirements and generate environmental data of known and documented quality. As outlined in the Operating Plan, the QA Office provides a wide range of services to our stakeholders in support of this mission including:
- reviewing and approving organizational and project-level QA plans
- coordinating and actively participating in the efforts needed to achieve and maintain NELAP Accreditation for many of the analyses performed by the Regional Laboratory
- routinely developing and offering QA training to all staff to ensure understanding and implementation of the QA requirements and the Region’s Quality System
- performing assessments of personnel and organizations who participate in our Quality System to verify compliance with the Agency’s and Region’s QA requirements
- offering technical assistance on identified quality system corrective actions where needed to bring a program back into compliance or where opportunities exist for quality system improvements
- managing and maintaining the Region’s standard operating procedures
- acting as the Region’s liaison with the Agency’s Quality Staff by tracking and reporting on the Region’s Quality System status and activities and communicating any new or changing QA requirements, policies and procedures issued by the Quality Staff
Because the Agency’s QA requirements extend to external organizations who participate in the Region’s Quality System, the QA Office is also responsible for collaborating with the Region’s external partners including States, Tribes and other grantees and contractors on establishing their quality systems and provides them the same types of support and services as we do our internal customers.
This area of EPA's Web site is most suitable for contractors, state and local officials and responsible parties who need an in-depth understanding of data collection and documentation requirements.
Program Guidance & Requirements
- Specifications for Non-EPA Organizations Invoked Through Individual Agreements or the Code of Federal Regulations
- R7 QA Training for Region 7 staff and grantees
- Region 7 QA Training Page
Standard Operating Procedures
EPA retains the discretion to adopt approaches on a case-by-case basis that differ from these guidance where appropriate. EPA may periodically revise these guidance without public notice.
Laboratory & Field Operations
The EPA Region 7 Laboratory plays a critical role in protecting people's health and the environment. Scientists follow rigorous quality control methods to ensure quality, accurate data. The Region 7 Laboratory is ISO 17025 accredited for more than 100 known environmental contaminants.
Field Operations – Contact Diane Harris, Regional QA Manager