Types of Section 608 Technician Certification
- Attaching and detaching hoses and gauges to and from an appliance to measure pressure within the appliance.
- Adding refrigerant to or removing refrigerant from an appliance.
- Any other activity that violates the integrity of a motor vehicle air conditioner (MVAC)-like appliance or small appliance (other than disposal).
Apprentices are exempt from certification requirements provided they are closely and continually supervised by a certified technician.
Types of Certification
EPA has developed four types of certification:
- For servicing small appliances (Type I).
- For servicing or disposing of high- or very high-pressure appliances, except small appliances and MVACs (Type II).
- For servicing or disposing of low-pressure appliances (Type III).
- For servicing all types of equipment (Universal).
The tests for each of these certification types cover different topics.