Water and wastewater facilities are among the largest consumers of energy in a community, accounting for 35 percent of typical U.S. municipal energy budgets. Local governments have a tremendous opportunity to reduce energy costs and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by working with these facilities to improve the energy efficiency (EE) of their new and existing buildings and day-to-day operations.
Learn how local governments have achieved sustained energy improvements at their water and wastewater facilities through equipment upgrades, operational modifications, and modifications to facility buildings. This webinar will outline a step-by-step approach for developing and implementing energy management plans at these facilities, featuring presentations and case studies from U.S. EPA and local governments. We will also discuss relevant tools, resources, and funding opportunities to support EE improvements, including U.S. EPA's guide for local governments, Energy Efficiency in Water and Wastewater Facilities: A Guide to Developing and Implementing Greenhouse Gas Reduction Programs.
- Welcome and Introduction (MP3) (7:38, 3.5M), Emma Zinsmeister, U.S. EPA
- Energy Efficiency for Water Utilities (MP3) (22:17, 10.2M), Jim Horne, U.S. EPA
- Greater Lawrence Sanitary District Energy Efficiency Program (MP3) (26:45, 12.2M), Michael DiBara, MDEP; Richard Weare, Greater Lawrence Sanitary District
- Tennessee Water and Wastewater Energy Efficiency Partnership (MP3) (28:06, 12.8M), Bob Freeman & Brendan Held, U.S. EPA
- Q & A Session (MP3) (6:49, 3.12M), Emma Zinsmeister, U.S. EPA
PresentationsYou may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
Welcome and Introduction (PDF)(11 pp, 1 MB)
Emma Zinsmeister, U.S. EPA
Energy Efficiency for Water Utilities (PDF)(12 pp, 639 K)
Jim Horne, U.S. EPA
Greater Lawrence Sanitary District Energy Efficiency Program (PDF)(33 pp, 5 MB)
Michael DiBara, MDEP; Richard Weare, Greater Lawrence Sanitary District
Tennessee Water and Wastewater Energy Efficiency Partnership (PDF)(25 pp, 4 MB)
Bob Freeman & Brendan Held, U.S. EPA
- Energy Efficiency at Wastewater Facilities Transcript (PDF)(35 pp, 406 K)
- Unanswered Questions from U.S. EPA Local Climate & Energy Webcast Transcript (PDF)(6 pp, 448 K)