EPA Issued Operating Permits
Each EPA Regional Office is responsible for permitting part 71 sources located in their Region.
- In Indian Country
- On the Outer Continental Shelf (beyond state waters)
- In some US Territories (such as Guam and Northern Marianas)
- When the EPA has objected to a part 70 permit and the state does not fix the permit
- When a part 70 program is withdrawn or no part 70 program is implemented
Permitting in Indian Country
- Indian Tribes are encouraged, but not required to develop Title V permit programs
- The EPA normally runs the part 71 program unless the tribe has been delegated authority to run the part 71 program or they receive approval for a part 70 program.
Geographical Extent of Indian Country
Indian Country (as defined in 40 CFR 71.2) means:
- All land within the limits of any Indian reservation under the jurisdiction of the United States government, notwithstanding the issuance of any patent, and including rights-of-way running through the reservation;
- All dependent Indian communities within the borders of the United States whether within the original or subsequently acquired territory thereof, and whether within or without the limits of a State; and
- All Indian allotments, the Indian titles to which have not been extinguished, including rights-of-way running through the same. This definition parallels the definition of Indian country contained in 18 U.S.C. section 1151 and has been applied extensively by the federal courts.
40 CFR part 71 (Similar, but not identical, to part 70).
Each part 71 source is required to pay an initial fee and thereafter, an annual fee.
Part 71 fees can be paid online at www.pay.gov using form “SFO 1.1 (EPA Miscellaneous Payments - Cincinnati Finance Center).” This form can be quickly located by searching for "SFO 1.1" on www.pay.gov.
From the “Type of Payment” drop down menu, select “Other/Miscellaneous”
On the “Bill# or description” line, enter “Part 71 Fee Payment”
In the “Comments” box, enter the source or facility name and the part 71 permit number associated with this payment.
Form FEE (EPA Form 5900-03), Form FF (EPA Form 5900-06), and Form CTAC (EPA Form 5900-02).
A copy of the electronic payment confirmation generated by the online payment system.
Clean Air Act Part 71 Operating Permit Forms
These forms are used to prepare the initial part 71 permit application, and subsequently, to submit other required reports and information. Please check with the appropriate EPA Regional Office for guidance on the proper forms and how to obtain them. The forms on this page may be downloaded and printed but are not suitable for on-line data entry or electronic submittal. Each form below contains detailed instructions; the instruction manual contains general instructions that are relevant to all forms.
On November 20, 2018, we updated the mailing address for payment submittals on the Fee Filing form (EPA Form 5900-06). Also, there is no longer a seperate mailing adress for express deliveries.
On October 11, 2016, we updated the instructions for online payments provided in the Fee Filing form (EPA Form 5900-06).
On May 16, 2016, we updated all forms with the new expiration date of May 31, 2019.
On November 16, 2015, we added additional information regarding the expiration date on each form; we also updated and clarified certain instructions on several forms (e.g., forms FEE, FF, EMISS, and PTE, in particular).
|Forms in MS WORD format||Forms in PDF format|
|Instruction Manual for Part 71 Forms (doc)|
|Prompt Deviation Report (PDR) (doc)|
|6-Month Monitoring Report (SIXMON) (doc)|
|Fee Calculation Worksheet (FEE) (doc)|
|Fee Filing (FF) (doc)|
|Annual Compliance Certification (A-COMP) (doc)|
|Certification of Truth, Accuracy, and Completeness (CTAC) (doc)|
Where can I find more information?
- If you have a question about the forms or title V permitting in a particular area or state, please contact the Regional air permitting office for the state in which the source is located. Air permitting contacts are available on the Permitting Under the Clean Air Act webpage.