Underground Storage Tank (UST) Inspector Training
EPA revised our online UST inspector training. It now includes requirements and information from the 2015 federal UST regulation. This replaces EPA’s previous inspector training, known as the UST-LUST Virtual Classroom.
EPA’s UST inspector training contains two modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to the Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program
- Explains the 2015 UST regulation;
- Identifies the differences between the UST and leaking UST programs;
- Discusses financial responsibility; and
- Orients new users to the components of an UST system.
- Module 2: Basic UST Inspector Training
- Describes how inspectors can prepare for and conduct compliance inspections at typical UST facilities;
- Covers office preparation for field inspections, on site equipment inspections, and on site records review.
The training also includes an exam comprised of 20 questions taken from Module 2. To pass the exam, you must answer 90 percent of questions correctly.
EPA developed the training primarily for EPA regional UST inspectors, as well as Indian country and state UST inspectors who currently have or are seeking EPA inspector credentials. UST inspectors must take this course to meet the UST program-specific training requirements for UST credentialed compliance inspector or field investigator under EPA Order 3500.1. Unfortunately, this training will no longer be available to the public after July 31, 2020.
The UST inspector training is available through EPA’s National Enforcement Training Institutes (NETI) eLearning Center Training Catalog.
Inspector training is managed in FedTalent, EPA’s Learning Management System.
- Federal EPA inspectors should access FedTalent through One EPA Workplace or with an EPA PIV Card
- Non-EPA inspectors must request a FedTalent account to access inspector training. Non-EPA inspectors should refer to the Guide to Accessing FedTalent for instructions on requesting a FedTalent account. Non-EPA inspectors access to FedTalent