Requirements for SmartWay Verification of Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) Tires and Retread Technologies for Tractors or Trailers
Before applying for SmartWay verification of your LRRs, consider the following:
- Considerations for tire size
- Considerations for tire and retread models with multiple tread depths
- Performance requirements
- Testing requirements
- Laboratory requirements for testing
- Requirements for the applicant
- Requirements for availability of equipment
- 295/75R22.5, load range G or
- 275/80R22.5, load range G.
- 295/75R22.5, load range G and H
- 275/80R22.5, load range G and H
- 11R22.5, load range G and H
- 285/75R24.5, load range G and H
- 275/80R24.5, load range G and H
- 11R24.5, load range G and H
If you submit test data for a size other than 295/75R22.5 or 275/80R22.5, load range G, the tire will be verified only for the size tested.
- 295/75R22.5, load range G
If the tread depth tested is the deepest tread depth, the entire product line of the model with different tread depths qualifies for verification.
If the test results are submitted for one of the shallower tread depths, only the models with the shallower tread depths will be verified.
There is no charge for verification, but the manufacturer is responsible for the costs of testing.
Tests must include a sample of three tires for each tire model ("pattern").
- Be accredited by a body recognized by the International Laboratory Accreditation Corporation (ILAC) to be in compliance with ISO 17025 for the SAE J1269/ISO28580 test methods
- Provide a copy of the laboratory's accreditation certificate (in English translation, if necessary) with every set of lab report.
- The laboratory must provide data showing that their results are aligned to an accredited laboratory OR
- EPA may accept alternative evidence of laboratory competence and quality assurance/quality control by prior arrangement.
Tire manufacturers, importers, or private label marketers
Tires and retread products submitted for verification must be commercially available for installation. No products still in the research and development stage will be verified. However, we will verify tire models and retread products whose market launch is imminent.