EPA has issued the following determinations under Clean Water Act section 303(c)(4)(B) that new or revised standards are necessary.
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
National Toxics Rule
National Toxics Rule Promulgation and Withdrawals (promulgated in 1992, proposed in 1991).
- 40 CFR 131.36
- Final Rule
- Federal Register Notice (Corrected June 1, 1993)
- Proposed National Toxics Rule (PDF) (59 pp, 8 MB) (Proposed November 19, 1991)
- Individual Actions to Amend or Establish Standards under the National Toxics Rule
- Establishment of Numeric Criteria for Priority Toxic Pollutants for the State of California (California Toxics Rule)
- Establishment of Revised Numeric Criteria for Selenium for the San Francisco Bay and Delta
Colville Confederated Tribes
- Final Rule Federal Register Notice (July 6, 1989)
- Proposed Rule Federal Register Notice (July 15, 1988)
- January 2009 Determination
- January 2009 Determination Fact Sheet
- November 2012 Amended Determination
- June 2013 Amended Determination
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection Numeric Nutrient Criteria Development Plan Exit
October 2009 Determination (PDF) (10 pp, 182 K)
December 2008 Determination (PDF) (6 pp, 272 K)
Federal Water Quality Standards for Indian Country
On January 18, 2001, EPA Administrator, Carol Browner, signed a proposed rule to promulgate federal water quality standards for certain waters in Indian country that did not have applicable Clean Water Act standards. However, after signature EPA never published it in the Federal Register or requested public comment upon it. The proposal was based on the Administrator’s determination that such standards are necessary.
- [See Proposed, Unpublished Rule: Federal Water Quality Standards for Indian Country and Other Provisions Regarding Federal Water Quality Standards ]