Anaerobic Digestion (AD)
Anaerobic digestion is the natural process in which microorganisms break down organic materials, such as food scraps, grease, and biosolids. This process produces biogas, a renewable energy source.
EPA Wraps Up Round Five
EPA completed the fifth round of the AD data collection project and is now reviewing and analyzing the data.
The Results Are In
Check out the Anaerobic Digesters Processing Food Waste in the United States (2019) survey report on the AD data collection project webpage.
Tools & Resources
- Project Development Handbook
- Anaerobic Digestion and its Applications
- Food Waste to Energy: How Six Water Resource Recovery Facilities are Boosting Biogas Production and the Bottom Line
- Opportunities for Combined Heat and Power at Wastewater Treatment Facilities: Market Analysis and Lessons from the Field
- Evaluating the Air Quality, Climate, and Economic Impacts of Biogas Management Technologies (pdf) (1.9 MB)