Negotiated Rulemaking Committee: Chemical Data Reporting Requirements for Inorganic Byproducts
EPA has established a negotiated rulemaking committee under the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). The objective of the Committee is to negotiate a proposed rule providing for limiting chemical data reporting requirements under subsection 8(a) of the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), for manufacturers of any inorganic byproducts, when such byproducts are subsequently recycled, reused, or reprocessed. This negotiation process is required by TSCA, as amended by the Frank R. Lautenberg Chemical Safety for the 21st Century Act. All meetings are open to the public in accordance with the Federal Advisory Committee Act.
On this page:
About the Committee
EPA has established established a Negotiated Rulemaking Committee (Committee) consisting of individuals representing organizations, all of whom have been identified as having a definable stake in the outcome of the proposed requirements.
The Committee consists of over 30 members representing interest areas that could be significantly impacted by the outcome of the negotiated rulemaking process. Members of the Committee were appointed by the EPA Administrator to serve for the duration of the negotiated rulemaking effort. EPA issued a request for nominations in a December 15, 2016, Federal Register Notice. The Committee was established on June 5, 2017.
Meeting Announcements and Public Notices
EPA values public input during this process. Committee meetings will be open to the public, so interested parties may observe the meetings and communicate their views in the appropriate time and manner, as defined in each meeting’s agenda. Meetings will be announced in the Federal Register and on this website, and formal meeting materials and summaries will be available on this website and in the docket for the Committee.
More detailed information on requesting to make an oral presentation at a public meeting, submitting written statements to the Committee, and obtaining information concerning the public meetings can be found in each meeting’s Federal Register Notice.
- Committee Meetings.
- September 13 and 14, 2017 – The third meeting of the Negotiating Committee will be held on September 13 from 9 am to 5 pm EST and September 14 from 9 am to 3 pm EST. The meeting will be at the William Jefferson Clinton East Building, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC, and is open to the public. It is not a requirement that the public sign up to attend the meeting, but please contact us if you would like to give advance notice of your participation.
- October 25 and 26, 2017 – The fourth meeting of the Negotiating Committee will be held on October 25 from 9 am to 5 pm EST and October 26 from 9 am to 3 pm EST. The meeting will be at the William Jefferson Clinton East Building, 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC, and is open to the public. It is not a requirement that the public sign up to attend the meeting, but please contact us if you would like to give advance notice of your participation.
- Negotiating Committee Meetings.
- August 16 and 17, 2017 – The second meeting of the Negotiating Committee was held on August 16 from 9 am to 5 pm EST and August 17 from 9 am to 3 pm EST.
- June 8 and 9, 2017 – First meeting of the Negotiating Committee.
EPA held a public meeting with Committee members to begin the process of negotiated rulemaking
- Read the Federal Register notice announcing this meeting.
- View the meeting agenda and presentations.
- Additional materials are in docket EPA-HQ-OPPT-2016-0597.
- – Public Meeting to Exchange Information and Organize the Committee
EPA held a public meeting with potential committee members and the public for the purpose of information exchange and to discuss the process of negotiated rulemaking. Read the Federal Register notice that announced the public meeting to exchange information and organize the Committee.