Clean Diesel State Allocations
You may need a PDF reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
EPA allocates DERA funds to eligible U.S. states and territories for the establishment of clean diesel grant, rebate and loan programs.
Using the formula outlined in the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (PDF)(551 pp, 3.16 MB, August 2005), the State Clean Diesel Grant Program receives 30 percent of the annual DERA appropriation.
Of the state portion of the funding, two-thirds is provided to participating states and territories as base funding. The remaining third is allocated as an incentive to those states and territories that voluntarily provide a match equal to the base funding.
Note: States intending to use Volkswagen mitigation funds for the DERA Option in the VW partial settlement should review the DERA Option Factsheet (PDF)(8 pp, 311 K, April 2019, EPA-420-F-19-042).
|Description of Tasks||Date|
|Release of Notice of Intent to Participate (NOIP) form||Monday, April 15, 2019|
Webinar for states and territories:
|Thursday, April 18, 2019; 2:00 p.m. ET|
|Deadline for states and territories to submit Notice of Intent form to CleanDiesel@epa.gov||Monday, April 29, 2019|
|States and territories will be notified of final allocation amounts via email||Thursday, May 2, 2019|
|Deadline for states and territories to submit work plan and budget narrative to their EPA Region for review||Tuesday, May 28, 2019|
|Deadline for states and territories to submit application on Grants.gov||Tuesday, June 18, 2019|
|Project period for FY 2019 awards begins. Regional offices will finalize the FY 2019 Program awards prior to October 1, 2019||Tuesday, October 1, 2019|
- 2019 State Clean Diesel Fact Sheet (PDF)(2 pp, 89 K, April 2019, EPA-420-F-19-041)
- 2019 State Clean Diesel Program Information Guide (PDF)(39 pp, 553 K, April 2019, EPA-420-B-19-019)
- 2019 Notice of Intent to Participate (WORD)(4 pp, 443 K, April 2019) Free Viewers
- 2019 Workplan Narrative Template (WORD)(8 pp, 440 K, April 2019) Free Viewers
- 2019 Priority County List (PDF)(13 pp, 1 MB, December 2018)
- EPA General Grant Terms and Conditions
Participating states and territories must submit a complete application package electronically to EPA through www.grants.gov after they have received their final allocation amount and have had their work plan approved by their EPA Region Project Officer. See Section VII of the 2019 State Clean Diesel Grant Program Information Guide for full application content and submission instructions.
States and territories may use their allocations to fund grant, rebate, and loan programs for clean diesel projects that use:
- EPA verified retrofit technologies or certified engine configurations
- California Air Resources Board (CARB) Exit verified retrofit technologies or certified engine configurations
- Idle-reduction technologies that are EPA verified
- Aerodynamic technologies and low rolling resistance tires that are EPA verified
- Early engine, vehicle, or equipment replacements with certified engine configurations
- State Allocation Quarterly Reporting Template FY17-FY18 (Excel)(1 MB, May 2018)
- State Allocation Final Reporting Template FY17-FY18 (Excel)(1 MB, April 2019)