CWA NPDES National Technical Inspector Workshop
The Office of Compliance is working closely with Region 5 to plan the 2018 Clean Water Act (CWA) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) National Technical Inspector Workshop. The Workshop is planned for December 3-7, 2018 in the conference rooms of the Region 5 office located at 77 West Jackson Boulevard in downtown Chicago.
The primary purpose of the Workshop is to ensure that EPA adequately trains inspectors in a wide variety of NPDES technical and enforcement requirements, updates and increases the knowledgebase of our experienced inspectors, and facilitates the transfer of knowledge from experienced inspectors to less experienced inspectors. It also provides a forum for inspectors to meet face-to-face to discuss and collaborate on current issues in their work.
Technical Classroom Sessions
- Classroom topics vary by course offering, but generally include sessions on municipal, industrial and wet weather inspection programs, laboratory audits, inspector best practices, inspector skills, inspection and enforcement policy implementation, and hot topics for inspectors.
- This year’s agenda provides more specific classroom information.
Hands on Equipment Training
- Sampling and monitoring equipment demonstration including:
- Flow meters
- ISCO Automatic Samplers
- Dissolved Oxygen Meter
- pH Meter
- FLIR Infrared Camera
- The Workshop includes one field day where students are led by experienced inspectors onsite at actual facilities. There facilities vary by course offering but may include:
- Wastewater Treatment Plants
- Industrial Direct Dischargers
- Municipal Storm Sewer Systems (MS4)
- Combined Sewer Systems and Sanitary Sewer Systems
- Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations
- Green Infrastructure
Register for the Workshop
This year’s Workshop will feature an optional half-day of Pretreatment 101 presentations on Monday morning December 3 from 8:30am-11:00am. This training will cover an introduction to the pretreatment program and an overview of pretreatment standards. The actual Workshop presentations will begin at noon on Monday. When registering, please indicate whether you plan to attend the optional Pretreatment sessions on Monday morning.
- Audience: The topics in this Workshop are geared toward EPA inspectors. While registration is open to all federal, state, tribal and municipal inspectors, EPA regional inspectors are given first priority in registration.
- Attendance and participation at this Workshop can satisfy the annual program-specific mandatory refresher training requirement for an NPDES inspector under EPA Order 3500.1 for the current calendar year.
- Workshop Coordinators: